starting strength gym

Thread: How long does one workout take on a 4-Day Texas Method

Default How long does one workout take on a 4-Day Texas Method

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I was planning to do a 4-Day TM beginning today. Just seemed like a really short workout... like 30 mins. Albeit, I ditched the bench press because I don’t have a safe way to do them.

Here’s what I’d planned...

Monday
    Press 5x5
    Close push ups
    Curls

Tuesday
    Squat 5x5 (70%)
    Rows or Power Cleans
    Pull ups

Thursday
    Press 5RM
    Close push ups
    Curls

Friday
    Squat 5RM/5x1
    Deadlift 5RM/1x2
    Pull ups

What might you change to give this more substance?

I do four-day TM with a couple minor modifications I’ve had to add in over time. If everything’s going well, I can be done in an hour if I need to. I usually spend more like 75 minutes. I had some sessions that were really fast when I first started, particularly on heavy bench / volume press day, but it didn’t last very long.

As the weight goes up on the volume work, it'll take longer. Accessories or additional back off sets after the intensity day are ways that you can increase stress. I would recommend driving as much progress as possible without that, though. If you're able to push the weight up with 5RM, then just do that. Once that stops working, you're going to have to increase stress by adding more work sets or accessories.

Thanks for the responses. I’ve started light, so hopefully I’ll be able to consistently push he weight up for a bit.