starting strength gym

Thread: Question

Default Question

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Last workout i broke my 5rm pr for the squat with 125 kg. This was heavy but i made it for 3x5. Today i tried to do 127.5, but my lower back was fatigue as hell so i did 1x4(127.5 kg, 1x5(117.5 kg), 1x3(117.5 kg). I am 95 kg
    BW, eating 4400+ cals a day with 300 protein and 451 carbs 140 fat. Sleeping 7-8 hours a night.
    Should i try next session 127.5 for 3x5 and after that i will add the light day in? Or should i try 125 again, and then add the light day in for fully recover and hit the 127.5 again afterwards?

Sorry for the double, but i forgot to mension that i am after a reset to the squats( before the reset 122.5 was my pr for 3x5 and i failed at 125).

I would hit a midweek light day at 100 KG and then go for 127.5 again on your last training session of the week. You may be surprised how strong you’ll feel at the end of the week with the addition of lighter day.

Quote Originally Posted by m.z.mac View Post
    I would hit a midweek light day at 100 KG and then go for 127.5 again on your last training session of the week. You may be surprised how strong you’ll feel at the end of the week with the addition of lighter day.
    Today was my last workout of the week, so next workout try hit again the 127.5? and after that i am adding light day.

just a thought, I dont know you're age but the older (and maybe taller) you are the truer this advice may be. You mentioned you've already reset squat. You may not be recovering. I had similar problem with squat and switched squats to monday and thursday, I have been able to add weight twice a week because I'm recovering between workouts where I couldnt doing them MWF

Quote Originally Posted by vanscyoc View Post
    just a thought, I dont know you're age but the older (and maybe taller) you are the truer this advice may be. You mentioned you've already reset squat. You may not be recovering. I had similar problem with squat and switched squats to monday and thursday, I have been able to add weight twice a week because I'm recovering between workouts where I couldnt doing them MWF
    I am 21 and 1.80 cm tall. Yes i am will add the light day next week in the middle with 70% maybe lighter of fridays workout(i am training friday, sunday, thuesday).

starting strength coach development program
    Agreed, light day becomes necessary at some point, sounds like thats where youre at. I still had another 40 kg left on linear when i added in the lighter squats, so rejoice you may have a lot left to go.