starting strength gym

Thread: General progress and a programming question

Default General progress and a programming question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Ok, I've just finished week 8 of my LP. Other than a hiccup on the OHP during week 3. everything, from my estimation, is moving along very well. I have added 5 pounds to my Squat, Bench, and Deadlift every workout. After week 3, I increase my OHP by 2.5 lbs each pressing day. I introduced the power clean during week 4 because my body wasn't recovering between training sessions. (this is based on readiness scores that I track from my watch.) So, for now, my A-days look like this
    Squat
    Press
    Deadlift
    My B-days
    Squat
    Bench Press
    Power Clean
    I'm not sure if I should start alternating my deadlifts and power cleans on A-days and adding Chins on my B-day—more recovery time from heavy pulling. I'm still making progress on all of my lifts, and I don't want to slow down my progress.
    My starting stats
    54 yo
    224lbs
    Squat 185
    Bench 145
    OHP 108
    Dead 255
    Currently, I am at
    Squat 305x5x3
    Bench 205x5x3
    OHP 140x5x3
    Deadlift 335 for 1 set of 5
    Bodyweight 236

How tall are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How tall are you?
    I'm 6'1"

Quote Originally Posted by Twig View Post
    Ok, I've just finished week 8 of my LP. Other than a hiccup on the OHP during week 3. everything, from my estimation, is moving along very well. I have added 5 pounds to my Squat, Bench, and Deadlift every workout. After week 3, I increase my OHP by 2.5 lbs each pressing day. I introduced the power clean during week 4 because my body wasn't recovering between training sessions. (this is based on readiness scores that I track from my watch.) So, for now, my A-days look like this
    Squat
    Press
    Deadlift
    My B-days
    Squat
    Bench Press
    Power Clean
    I'm not sure if I should start alternating my deadlifts and power cleans on A-days and adding Chins on my B-day—more recovery time from heavy pulling. I'm still making progress on all of my lifts, and I don't want to slow down my progress.
    My starting stats
    54 yo
    224lbs
    Squat 185
    Bench 145
    OHP 108
    Dead 255
    Currently, I am at
    Squat 305x5x3
    Bench 205x5x3
    OHP 140x5x3
    Deadlift 335 for 1 set of 5
    Bodyweight 236
    Sounds like a good start to the LP
    Don't let a watch dictate your programming
    You make changes after answering the first three questions (see article) and based on objective data like bar speed aka if your 5th deadlift rep takes 5 seconds to come up, you can change. If your squats gets so stressful that you can barely get your deadlift off the ground that day, time to change. But you need the data first, and it's not on your watch.