starting strength gym

Thread: Bike touring Europe training...

Default Bike touring Europe training...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all. I've tried to search and found some info on this but my issue is quite specific and unusual, I'd suggest! Point me in the right direction if I am missing a post.

I'm currently bike touring Europe and struggling to develop a program where I can strength train as well.

I'm 46, biking anywhere between 20 and 90 miles per day with a 50kg payload! It is always tough, especially where mountains are concerned.

I wish to continue my strength training but can't figure out how to achieve this. I'm thinking once a week, when I can, and then rest for 2 days afterwards. Or should I just forget about the gym and train when I rest for winter?

I went to the gym finally after 4 months of touring on the bike. My hamstrings seized (a problem I've always had if I'm not consistent) after warming up and squatting 60kg! Before I left I was squatting 125kg! I also twitched my back.... not a good start!

I massively miss the gym! Help would be appreciated.

You have placed yourself ion a fairly catabolic situation, one that is not compatible with recovery from strength training, especially at 46. Just enjoy your tour and train when you're through.

Thanks for the reply, Mark.

The strange thing is, I weighed myself recently and I thought I would have lost a lot of weight, but I was 85kg, similar to when I left, if not the same!

When I'm done for this year, which will be winter, would you suggest 2 lifting days (maybe 1DL) per week and ride once, if I wish to keep up my bike game?

Thanks again.

Why the hell are you bike touring Europe at this time of year?

Haha well, I started at the end of June, so this is the end of my year and the weather hasn't been so bad to carry on cycling! A few cold days. Keeping above zero as I head south for milder climates! I'm English/ Irish, we are used to the cold and rain!