starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations to run deadlift up

Default Recommendations to run deadlift up

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    When I started I programmed the deadlift and did 5lb jumps out of the gate. I was worried about throwing my back out before it got strong enough for me not to worry so much about it...

42yrs old 6' tall 178-182lbs

squat - 315
    press - 132
    bench - 185
    deadlift - 310 (Failed 315 and made 4 reps last session, tonight made 315 for 3 rep)

Should I reset my squat to allow for more recovery and more gas in the tank to run the deadlift up?

Should I deadlift twice a week?

I am going to switch to 2 days between each session starting next week to see if the additional recovery helps (as per mentioned in Practical Programming)

I am doing the 1 heavy set followed by the backoff sets at 5-10% reduction in weight for squats and presses (as mentioned in Practical Programming)

You are 6' and 180, and you're probably squatting above parallel.

"More recovery time" will not help you here. None of these lifts are heavy enough that you shouldn't be able to recover from them in 48 hours, provided you're eating enough. Which you're not. Gain 50 pounds and post videos of the squat and deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You are 6' and 180, and you're probably squatting above parallel.
    I film the lifts with gopro...everything looks below parallel and I can feel the stretch reflex at the bottom. I do one heavy 5RM and then two back offs at 5-10% reduction. I have the pins set so I don't worry about failing a rep. I had to set the bar down once already when I hit 305.

What do ya think? Would it hurt to lower squat to 80% of my 5RM and then deload deadlift by 5%

I've been doing cleans. Should I just do deads instead for a while to run it up 50lbs over my squat?

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    "More recovery time" will not help you here. None of these lifts are heavy enough that you shouldn't be able to recover from them in 48 hours, provided you're eating enough. Which you're not. Gain 50 pounds and post videos of the squat and deadlift.

I film the lifts with gopro...everything looks below parallel and I can feel the stretch reflex at the bottom. I do one heavy 5RM and then two back offs at 5-10% reduction. I have the pins set so I don't worry about failing a rep. I had to set the bar down once already when I hit 305.

What do ya think? Would it hurt to lower squat to 80% of my 5RM and then deload deadlift by 5%

I've been doing cleans. Should I just do deads instead for a while to run it up 50lbs over my squat?

So I have to gain 50lbs to make my deadlift go any higher?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.T View Post
    So I have to gain 50lbs to make my deadlift go any higher?
    Yes

The process that makes your bodyweight go up also makes your deadlift go up. But Maybach saved time.

The process that makes your bodyweight go up also makes your deadlift go up. But Maybach saved time.
    I hear ya...and I appreciate everybody. It feels good to just get 315 on the bar and I am can't thank you enough for helping make that possible...I'm going to keep at it.

I've put almost 40lbs on in a pretty short amount of time.

Just ordered a single ply dominion belt in 3". The 4" suede belt I have gouges the shit out of my ribs on deadlifts....I am hoping the dominion belt won't be so bad. It makes it hard to get into position on the bottom.

Just ordered a single ply dominion belt in 3". The 4" suede belt I have gouges the shit out of my ribs on deadlifts....I am hoping the dominion belt won't be so bad. It makes it hard to get into position on the bottom.
    The Belt and the Deadlift | Mark Rippetoe

Good Read.

I will report back when the dominion belt arrives and I get some pulls with it.

starting strength coach development program
    Good Read.

I will report back when the dominion belt arrives and I get some pulls with it.
    My belt hasn't arrived yet, but I did do my deadlifts outside today (vs. inside the house which has pier and beam foundation)...

I was able to make all 5 reps today and felt like I can put another 5lbs on the bar so I think I'm back to moving forward.

I wore a sweatshirt today outside and the belt I normally use didn't gouge the shit out of my ribs this time.

I will hopefully have that belt soon and we shall give 320lbs a go. I did my 315 squat with 3 sets of triples and a few backoff sets at 225. The 225 felt really light after I did the triples.

If I can ever get hands on a bottle of Widow Jane's Decadence I am going to send SS crew a bottle as a token of my appreciation.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast