starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Programming Rows

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My comment was directed at Chubby, not Rip. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernLifter View Post
    My question would be: If you are making solid progress on deadlifts and chin-ups, then why do you want to do barbell rows?

(in case you think these replace the power clean; no, they don't at all).
    I appreciate your feedback and agree with you--rows cannot replace cleans. However, due to personal limitations 9 injuries and body structure), I have been advised by an SSC to avoid cleans. Feel free to read more here. Cleans would be ideal. Since I cannot do them, I believe rows to be the next-best alternative.

That being said, I still need a pulling exercise for my non-deadlift days, and the same SSC recommended rows. I'm currently progressing fine, but that is partially due to the large reset I was told to do--I am not particularly close to my pre-reset PRs. Thus, I shall be doing rows.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Once your form is correct, 3 sets of 5 is probably the best way to use them.
    Thank you. I will diligently work on improving my form and check-in in the not-to-distant future.

One of the main points of barbell rows is working on setting your back in a deadlift position, with lighter weights. You need to think about tightening up your back even more than you would on a heavy deadlift. Only then do you row.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChubbyViking View Post
    I appreciate your feedback and agree with you--rows cannot replace cleans. However, due to personal limitations 9 injuries and body structure), I have been advised by an SSC to avoid cleans. Feel free to read more here. Cleans would be ideal. Since I cannot do them, I believe rows to be the next-best alternative.

That being said, I still need a pulling exercise for my non-deadlift days, and the same SSC recommended rows. I'm currently progressing fine, but that is partially due to the large reset I was told to do--I am not particularly close to my pre-reset PRs. Thus, I shall be doing rows.

Thank you. I will diligently work on improving my form and check-in in the not-to-distant future.
    It seems like it's okay for you. So go ahead, mate.

My experience with barbell rows was not great.

At that time, I couldn't make PCs either, so I incorporated barbell rows. It's definitely a great exercise for torso strength, but it set me back on the bench press.

Then, I discovered that for a strong back, the best and most practical thing is to maintain solid progress in deadlifts and chin-ups (I discovered that I still had enormous progress to make with chin-ups, and that gave me great muscle development. back and strength). These exercises will not fatigue you when lifting heavy bench presses and will be a great support for your back (I echo Rip's words: nothing, but nothing, works your lats as intensely as a heavy conventional deadlift and well executed).

Just MY experience with the barbell row.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    One of the main points of barbell rows is working on setting your back in a deadlift position, with lighter weights. You need to think about tightening up your back even more than you would on a heavy deadlift. Only then do you row.
    Thank you! I will keep that in mind as a cue.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernLifter View Post
    It seems like it's okay for you. So go ahead, mate.

My experience with barbell rows was not great.

At that time, I couldn't make PCs either, so I incorporated barbell rows. It's definitely a great exercise for torso strength, but it set me back on the bench press.

Then, I discovered that for a strong back, the best and most practical thing is to maintain solid progress in deadlifts and chin-ups (I discovered that I still had enormous progress to make with chin-ups, and that gave me great muscle development. back and strength). These exercises will not fatigue you when lifting heavy bench presses and will be a great support for your back (I echo Rip's words: nothing, but nothing, works your lats as intensely as a heavy conventional deadlift and well executed).

Just MY experience with the barbell row.
    Thanks for sharing your experience--it sounds like you made the best decision! How did doing rows negatively impact your bench? At least for me, my row workout days go Squats, then Bench, then Rows. Did your rows precede your bench?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChubbyViking View Post
    Thank you! I will keep that in mind as a cue.

Thanks for sharing your experience--it sounds like you made the best decision! How did doing rows negatively impact your bench? At least for me, my row workout days go Squats, then Bench, then Rows. Did your rows precede your bench?

No, the rows always went at the end.

It happened that even though I was sleeping A LOT and eating very well, I felt too much fatigue in my forearms, shoulders, trapezius, etc. which then did not allow me to be optimal on the bench. This was several years ago and my conclusion was that rowing will screw up your bench if you are a hardgainer like me, ectomorph, "low recovery guy", or whatever you want to call it.

By the way, it would be good if you told us about your general progress and progress on the oars.

I am one of those who always have doubts about how much the famous "assistance exercises" help (or how much they screw up).

Thank you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12