starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programming Rows

Default Programming Rows

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Disclaimer 1: I have searched through the forum and watched/re-watched the videos "The Barbell Row with Mark Rippetoe" and "Revisiting the Barbell Row with Mark Rippetoe."

Disclaimer 2: I would do cleans if I could, but I cannot. Feel free to read my previously posted thread. I have been told to do rows.

What should be the programming for workset(s) for rows? In both videos, the sets done are of 5 reps. 3 sets of 5 reps? 1 set of 5 reps? I saw that Andy Baker awhile ago recommended 3 sets of 8 reps.

Thanks in advance!

Video?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Video?
    Sorry, Rip, but I'm not quite sure I understand. You want a video of me doing rows? I'm happy to oblige next time I perform them. Will that help you determine sets/reps for my workset(s)?

Video?
    Whoops I now see the cause of the confusion. When I said "both videos," I was referring to the two youtube videos I had previously referenced--in "The Barbell Row with Mark Rippetoe," the sets that you perform are sets of 5. Should I emulate that--5 reps per set? How many sets?

Since I am just now beginning rows, I have yet to video myself performing them.

Thanks for your patience and willingness to answer questions.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChubbyViking View Post
    Sorry, Rip, but I'm not quite sure I understand. You want a video of me doing rows? I'm happy to oblige next time I perform them. Will that help you determine sets/reps for my workset(s)?
    It will help me determine whether or not you know how to perform the exercise, which has a bearing on whether you should use them in training.

Here is a workset of rows:155 pounds x 5 reps

Not perfect form, but tolerable for my first time? All 5 reps hit my stomach.

I know that 155 is quite light. If for some reason you think that is still too heavy for me, here is my final warm-up set: 135 pounds x 5 reps

During a week of training at SS Atlanta, Adam Martin [SSC] advised me to avoid cleans given my injuries/terrible arches and subsequent pain. He recommended rows as my light pulling exercise. That being said, I am not wed to rows at all. I know that Rip has repeatedly said that rows should primarily be reserved for advanced lifters. I'm happy to do a different exercise on my non-heavy-deadlift days.

BB rows are an explosive exercise off the floor. Your hips are a little high to get enough acceleration out of the knee extension. But the primary problem here is that your back is loose, from bottom to top. This has to be corrected.

BB rows are an explosive exercise off the floor. Your hips are a little high to get enough acceleration out of the knee extension. But the primary problem here is that your back is loose, from bottom to top. This has to be corrected.

My question would be: If you are making solid progress on deadlifts and chin-ups, then why do you want to do barbell rows?

(in case you think these replace the power clean; no, they don't at all).

Rip, I can now see those issues. Thanks for pointing them out. On Wednesday I will start my hips a bit lower, really focus on slamming my elbows back, and (most importantly) getting my back properly tight to begin the exercise.

For my worksets, should I be doing 3 sets of 5 reps, or some other programming of sets/reps?

starting strength coach development program
    Once your form is correct, 3 sets of 5 is probably the best way to use them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast