starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advanced novice, deadlift vs squat

Default Advanced novice, deadlift vs squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I’ve just recently reset squat and deadlift. Last session reset bench.

Wt: 99kg
    Ht: 6’2”
    DL: 160 PR
    SQ: 150 PR feels horrible every time
    B: 95 (105 PR) reset last session
    PC: 70 (started this late in my NLP)
    P: 69 PR started moving up again

I’m getting my recovery back in line now going on 3 weeks. Had some illnesses and aches and pains, but never missed a workout.

My question is: Do I need to push my Deadlift up? I can’t help but feel my squat is struggling bc of my DL being low. How can I do that without screwing up this precarious balance of stress/adaption vs fatigue?

I’m currently MWF with these 3 workouts.
    S (1 top, 2 back offs)
    B
    PC

LSq
    P (15-18 total reps)
    DL (1 top, 1 back off)

Sq
    B
    Chins (5 sets)

Also this may be a dumb question but how do I know if I’m just fatigued or actually researching the end of my NLP?

10 kg isn't *abysmally* close. It should probably be further apart but the numbers alone don't raise any questions.

Why are you doing two sets of deadlifts?

After some searching on the forum, I think I’ll add rack pulls to keep the weight going up until my NLP runs out. I’m also going to reset the weight on my squat and use box squats to see if I can get rid of the patellar tendinitis and this deep lower back/hip flexor ache. I’ve got aches in my clavicles as well from bench. I’m guessing I’m feeling some sort of tendinitis in my pecs since that seems to be what I’m dealing with constantly. I’m basically Mr Tendinitis at this point.

I think The Man would tell you that you need to answer the first three questions, if you're asking if you're an intermediate you're not actually an intermediate and you need to add 20lbs bodyweight minimum at your height. So 110kg.

But I could be wrong and he may say differently.

Looks like my press is stalling out at 69 kg now at today’s session, got 8x2. But I did get DL 160 1x5.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shenfield View Post
    I think The Man would tell you that you need to answer the first three questions, if you're asking if you're an intermediate you're not actually an intermediate and you need to add 20lbs bodyweight minimum at your height. So 110kg.

No, you're right. Nico, how tall are you and what do you weigh? Are you proud of your abz?

You do not need to add rack pulls at a 160kg deadlift

It seems you have already upset the balance by pushing your squat up faster than your deadlift for so long. I would reset the squat (again) and move it to HLM programming.

Mon 1x5 @ 100% + 3x5 @ 90%
    Wed 2x5 @ 80%
    Fri 3x5 @ 90%

Eliminate the deadlift backoff set and move your deadlift to Friday. Do a 10lb jump at the end of the first light squat week.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    No, you're right. Nico, how tall are you and what do you weigh? Are you proud of your abz?
    I’m 6’2” and weigh 218 lbs 18% body fat. I’ve got a pretty nice one-pack right now. I’m eating like a beast. Today I started adding maltodextrin and whey protein hydrolysate to get an additional 100g protein per day. I think I need to be closer to 5000 calories to gain anything.

Added a back off at the weight of my last warmup bc I don’t think I’m getting enough volume. Was stuck bad at 160, but now I got 5 reps so I’ll see if it keeps moving next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shenfield View Post

I’m going to up my calories and protein and see if that doesn’t help. I’m eating probably 4000 calories and 150-180g protein per day. I routinely eat an entire pizza myself and buy nasty double burgers and fries every other day or so. I eat a lot. Had to quit GOMAD tho after 3 months due to severe reflux.

starting strength coach development program
    I knew it.

Now if only I could apply these things to myself properly I'd be right. But I guess it's as my Dad taught me; do as I say, not as I do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast