starting strength gym

Thread: Early introduction of pause squats

Default Early introduction of pause squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    G'day Rip,

I am going pretty well post tibia fracture at the end of last year.

My numbers are

Height 184cm
    BW 87kg... I know it's still light but it's the heaviest I have ever been. It's up from 60kg a few years ago. I've actually only just started to really up things in the last few weeks so I'm hoping to hit 90 soon.

Squat is at 3x5@85kg up from bodyweight supported to a chair in January.
    Bench is 3x5 @ 55kg
    Press 3x5 @ 37kg
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 100kg

Just started trying to power clean. It's not great. I'm only just able to jump now post break so I think I am not committing properly. I want to keep doing them as I hope they will improve my resilience to breaking my leg.

Anyway, I was wondering if it is worth an early introduction of a light squat day with a pause squat as my patellar tendon is having difficulty with a turn around? So the bottom of the squat back up. It's fine with the stretch reflex but significantly harder/more pain without. I think it got stretched or something during my injury. I'm not sure if it's something I should avoid or work to improve?

I am in two minds as to whether I should just keep going as is as more weight is better than less and it's not really hard yet. But I read that tempo things are good for tendons and was hoping that might lead to the ability to run again sooner. I don't want to run far, just want to be able to pay chase with my 5 year old daughter who currently can outrun me.

Squat video?

I should have known. I apologise. I will film and be on the look out for knee slide.

Here is a set of 5 at 87.5kg today.

squats 3x5 87.5kg 24-4-2024 - YouTube

I can't see any difference between these and the ones I did at 65kg you said were ok given the circumstances. I still skirt around depth but my back feels significantly better with the 3 inch belt.

These don't hurt my right knee. It's only if I was to stop at the bottom for longer.

These look pretty good, maybe a little more upper-back tightness. Nothing here that damages knees. I see no benefit in pause squats on a light day in this case.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Rip.

I'll keep on as is until it stops working. I guess it's just a matter of more time and more load.

I'll work on the upper back tightness.