starting strength gym

Thread: NLP Progress on Bench Press - Swapping to 3x3

Default NLP Progress on Bench Press - Swapping to 3x3

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    On March 18th I swapped my bench from 3x5(257.5 and under during my NLP) to 3x3(260lb). I did this because the previous 2 bench work outs I really could not complete 3 sets of 5. I had a few bench work outs prior where I was able to maybe do one set of 5, or sometimes I could do 3 sets of 4. I figured I must be nearing the end of my NLP in regards to benching, and read that going to a 3x3 was a better method for benching at the end of the NLP as opposed to the back-off method.

Well, here I am now, May 13th, and I just did my most recent bench work out of 282.5x3x3. Every workout done between the 260lb and the 282.5 was increased by 2.5lb. It's almost been 2 months of doing 2.5lb increases with 3 sets of 3. Should I just commence doing 3 sets of 3 indefinetly until that runs its course? Or, am I cheating myself somehow? Should I dial back weight and go back to sets of 5?

I only ask because this seems like I have been on sets of 3 for a rather long time. Perhaps I prematurely went to sets of 3?

The current process seems to be working well. I'd just keep at it.

If you're going to go to sets of three eventually, it is damn near impossible to switch off of 5s "too early", and if you do, you'll figure it out immediately.

What are you worried about? If your triples are increasing, who cares if you could have pushed fives for a bit longer?

Marching orders recieved.