starting strength gym

Thread: Four day split-programming in weighted chins

Default Four day split-programming in weighted chins

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Wondering what day(s) make the most sense to program weighted pull ups during the below four day split. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Monday-heavy bench, med press
    Tues-heavy squat, light pull
    Wed off
    Thurs-heavy press, med bench
    Fri-deadlift, light squat

Whichever day is shorter

Do them on press/bench press day.

Do indivuals give up a lot when they make the switch to U/L like this? In other words, is one missing out on potential positive hormonal, pysiological and other general strength adaptations by not doing full body sessions, and in effect lowering the frequency of lower body from 3x/wk to 2x/wk?

I figured that would make the most sense, but I curious if the weighted chin ups would negatively affect the deadlifts done on Friday.

Or, am I completely misguided?

Quote Originally Posted by Precious Snowflake View Post
    I figured that would make the most sense, but I curious if the weighted chin ups would negatively affect the deadlifts done on Friday.
    Do them Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Do them Monday.
    Understood. Is it ideal to keep these to one time a week and another day doing body weight chins? Or, is this simply a trial and error and see what I can effectively recover from.

Quote Originally Posted by Precious Snowflake View Post
    Understood. Is it ideal to keep these to one time a week and another day doing body weight chins? Or, is this simply a trial and error and see what I can effectively recover from.
    Rip's given you two different answers on when to put them in, to try out - this suggests it's an individualize matter, best determined by trial and error. Try something, observe the results, and change one independent variable at a time, and see what you learn. Might even be fun...

One question I tend to ask myself when planning assistance work is "will this interfere with any of my main lifts during this workout or the next day?"

For example, heavy chins done immediately before heavy presses, or the day before heavy presses, may be detrimental.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah I had that exact thought, but was thinking(when I first made this post) to do them twice a week and it seemed like doing them the day before deadlifts could be problematic also. I just figured I’d try to get some wisdom from the more experienced.