starting strength gym

Thread: Best way to manage fatigue

Default Best way to manage fatigue

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Has anyone ever tryed a 2 on 2 off 4 days split. For example, let's say HLM is becoming hard to recover from unless you are under perfect conditions. Yet one still needs to get more stress in to make a adaption. Example bellow
    Monday
    Bench H
    Press back off 5 percent

Tuesday
    Squat H day
    SlDL

Friday
    Press H but light by nature
    Bench press back off 5 to 10 percent

Saturday
    Deadlift H
    Squat back off 10 percent
    Chins 3x

I understand at some point programing becomes individually done, via why they are strength coaches. I'm just tired of using the .75 and 1 pound plates for Bench. Maybe that is just the way it is sadly.

You're tired of making small amounts of progress? You must be very young.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You're tired of making small amounts of progress? You must be very young.
    27 years of age. 1 pound a week at bench .5 at press and every 2 weeks 5 pound at the deadlift and squat. I miss slapping on 5 pounds a week. I guess if that lasted forever we all bench 480 and squat 850.

Why would this method allow you to make larger jumps on the bench press?

This is very low pressing volume per week, for what it's worth, which is why this seems weird to me.

Have you tried 4 day heavy/light but only working out 3 days a week? (MWFM cycle).

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin727 View Post
    27 years of age. 1 pound a week at bench .5 at press and every 2 weeks 5 pound at the deadlift and squat. I miss slapping on 5 pounds a week. I guess if that lasted forever we all bench 480 and squat 850.
    I miss adding 52 lb to my bench and 130 lb a year to my squat and deadlift, too...

The slowdown is part of the price you pay for progress, Griff - but you'll pay it one way or another.

20220525-practical-programming-cover-clip-sm-2713698095.jpg

Satisfaction is proportional to outcome over expectations. You need to maximize the numerator (The First Three Questions, etc.), but you also have to calibrate the denominator. Think about how you're framing this: You're saying that the the act of placing twice the size plates on each side of the bar, but at half the frequency is more of a hit for you than adding the smaller plates and hitting a PR twice as often.

If you learn to make the feels come from the results, not the moment, you'll be happier AND stronger over time.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    I miss adding 52 lb to my bench and 130 lb a year to my squat and deadlift, too...

The slowdown is part of the price you pay for progress, Griff - but you'll pay it one way or another.

I been reading the grey book and im pretty much seem to be progessing normally for my phase. I have to keep aware that adding 10 percent to a 550 squat is way harder then 10 percent to a 275 pound squat.