starting strength gym

Thread: “Programming” ideas for wife “trying” a few lifts…

Default “Programming” ideas for wife “trying” a few lifts…

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey guys…quick question on how to help my wife dip her toe into barbell training.

My wife(41 years old) has been pretty consistent at “working out” since she was a teen in different ways. (Running, workout videos, machine circuit training, and a small bit of weights). She works very hard at her workouts (not just going through the motions) and has specifically stated she enjoys doing what she does because of the good sweat and burn it gives. As we have been discussing things lately I have mentioned the importance of lifting “heavy” for strength.

Recently she mentioned doing her usual video/dumbbell workouts 2x a week and doing “heavy weights” once a week. Obviously this is not a commitment to the NLP, but I see her willingness to dabble with it as a win.

I’m looking to put together a simple “workout” that she can do (with my help) once a week in hopes that what she sees might prompt her toward actual strength training.

Looking for something about 45 minutes to an hour using the main lifts (although she specifically isn’t keen on learning the squat, even though I know that is the best one for her to do…maybe we can do that down the road)

Here’s what I had in mind.

Deadlift -work up to a heavy 1x5 or 2x3

Bench - 3x5. I have the equipment to make 2.5 lb, 2 lb, 1.5 lb or 1 lb jumps if needed.

Goblet Squats with dumbbells- 2 x 10 (I’m hoping once she tops out our dumbells at 50 lbs she would be willing to go to the bar)

Lat pulldowns - 2 x 10 ( not sure if this is necessary with deadlifts?)

Here are my questions
    1. Overall, how does this look (I tried to incorporate push, pull, legs using compound movements)

2. Will she be able to actually make any “progress” once a week? ( keeping in mind she is “lifting” 1-2 other days a week with her dumbbell exercise videos)

Again…I know this is FAR from optimal, but if this could help prompt her toward the NLP then it might be helpful. Thanks for your thoughts.

Give her the book, and then leave her alone (unless you already have another girlfriend).

Haha. She’s my only girlfriend (and I’ll keep her because she’s a good one). I do appreciate the wisdom in what you are saying.

Perhaps my post came across like I’m trying to get her to do this. I know the value if she would but I’m really not trying to convince her. She asked about doing one session a week so I’m trying to accommodate. Essentially I’m just trying to make that session actually productive for her and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts.