starting strength gym

Thread: What happens after the end of training cycle 1rep max, Texas Method II: Running out

Default What happens after the end of training cycle 1rep max, Texas Method II: Running out

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    In Chapter 7 of Practical Programming for Strength Training. In the last paragraph of "Texas Method Phase II: Running It Out," it says:

"An Example of this Method is below (only intensity days are shown):
    425 ×5
    430 x 5
    435 ×5
    440 x 5
    445 x 5 (barely made this set)
    450 х 3 x2
    455 x3 x2
    460 x 2 x 2
    465x1 x5
    470х 1x5
    475 x 1x3
    480х 1x3
    485 x1x3
    1RM attempt = 505
    At this point, the lifter might start the cycle over with a set of 5 on intensity day that reflects his new 1RM and maintains the volume-day load. Now, having an accurate recent training history, the lifter can set some realistic goals for each phase that he can confidently assume will yield a new 1RM at the end of the training cycle. "

My questions are:

1) What does this mean? "At this point, the lifter might start the cycle over with a set of 5 on intensity day that reflects his new 1RM and maintains the volume-day load". What is the formula for this? Do I deload my intensity day so I can do five reps max?
    2) If I have to deload to do five reps max again I imagine I also have to deload my 5x5 volume day, correct?

Thanks in advance.

This is the important part: "Now, having an accurate recent training history, the lifter can set some realistic goals for each phase that he can confidently assume will yield a new 1RM at the end of the training cycle."

Have you run this through yet? Notice that the example shown takes three months to get through. The process of going through all of it is what gives the lifter understanding of the process and how he responds - post-novice programming (when appropriate) is not as structured and universal as the NLP.

In other words, the wisdom to answer your questions is acquired by going through the process.

Hello Jason, thanks for your reply.

For some more context, I am 40 years old and have been practicing Jiu-Jitsu since October of last year. I’m still a white belt with no stripes. I feel that if I weren’t doing strength training, I would easily get overpowered, but everyone always mentions that it’s very tiring to roll with me, even though they eventually make me tap.

This is where I am right now this week:

Tuesday (I did this this past Monday): 5x5. - 335LB
    Friday (Doing this tomorrow): 2x3 - 370 LB

I repeated last week's weights because I was not recovering ( I felt at my limit), so I went back to the book (Practical Programming) and will probably switch to 1X5. But, to give more info, my 5 x 5 felt worse than last week, even though I completed it.

Finally, I know myself. I am very disciplined, and I will follow the program. I will reduce reps(5 sets of 1 rep, then 3 sets of 1 rep, etc) each week's intensity day until I get to 1rep max. The only problem is that when I get there I know that I going to have the same question that I have now. I know I am getting ahead of myself because I haven't finished the cycle. But still, I would like some guidance on what happens when I get there. Even if it is as general as "you deload and start again."

Thanks!

You are 40 years old with an unknown height and weight, practicing Jui Jitsu I don't know how many times a week and you're trying to run Texas Method?

Maybe you should reconsider things, given that you are not recovering.

The last set of 5 the lifter could get in the example above was 445x5. Theoretically, after a couple months of running it out, you could try 445x5 again to see if you could advance that to 450x5, which would be a PR. At this point in ones training career, setting a PR may take 3 or 4 months of this sort of programming.

Quote Originally Posted by PatricioMelendezCongrains View Post
    Finally, I know myself. I am very disciplined, and I will follow the program. I will reduce reps(5 sets of 1 rep, then 3 sets of 1 rep, etc) each week's intensity day until I get to 1rep max. The only problem is that when I get there I know that I going to have the same question that I have now. I know I am getting ahead of myself because I haven't finished the cycle. But still, I would like some guidance on what happens when I get there. Even if it is as general as "you deload and start again."
    I should clarify - it's good to know that you're disciplined and will stick to a program. What I meant by "The process of going through all of it is what gives the lifter understanding of the process and how he responds" includes that you'll learn not just how you respond mentally, but that you'll learn how your body responds. Some people do better with top set + backoff sets, some people do better with fewer sets across, etc. You find this out by changing one thing at a time and seeing how your results change. I absolutely understand wanting to know the "right" answer ahead of time, but you only find that out by trial and error. (Or by luck, if you make programming changes that happen to work for you...)

Don't be afraid of trying the "wrong" thing. When things start to slow down, pick ONE variable, change it, and see what happens. That's not program hopping, which leads nowhere. It's experimentation, which leads to knowledge.

Also, be aware that feeling that you're at your limit can be very deceptive - if the weights went up, they went up. Many of my PRs regularly come during workouts that felt like utter garbage from the first warmup set. In the past few weeks, I ground out a very, very ugly 5 lb PR on my 5 rep deadlift, where the last two reps were genuinely in doubt. Had I listened to that and changed up my programming, I might not have enjoyed the next DL workout's additional 5 lb PR for the same rep range, where it flew up for each rep feeling like I'd left off a plate on each side.

Hello Martin,

My weight is 220 pounds, and my height is 5'11".

This is how I organize my weekend:

Monday: Jiu Jitsu
    Tuesday: Bench or Press Volume 5x5
    Wednesday: Jiu Jitsu (My Jiu Jitsu classes have the odd arrangement, that is why I had to adapt the days I lift)
    Thursday: Squat Volume 5x5
    Friday: Bench (Intensity) Pr 1x5 - 2x3
    Saturday: Jiu-Jitsu
    Sunday: Squat (Intensity) Pr 1x5 - 2x3 - 3x2 (and soon 5 x 1)

starting strength coach development program
    Hi Jason,

Thanks again for your response and help. I completely agree that going through the process will allow me to tailor my training to what works best for me. In fact, I believe I’m already doing that by gradually reducing my volume day weight of 90% of the heavy day, to avoid carrying too much fatigue. I plan to continue this process until I reach a personal record (PR) as the program suggests. If I encounter any uncertainties about what to do next, I’ll probably post here again for guidance. Here’s what I’m planning to do:

Volume Intensity
    335 lb / 5 x 5 370 lb / 2 x 3 - 1 / 0
    337.5 lb / 5x5 375 lb / 3x2
    340 / 5x5 380 / 2 x 2
    345 / 5 x 5 385 / 2 x 2
    350 / 5 x 5 390 / 1 x 5
    355 / 5 x 5 400 / 1x 5
    360 / 5 x 5 405 / 1 x 3
    365 / 5 x 5 410 / 1x 3
    370 / 5x 5 415 / 1 x 3
    375 / 5 x 5 420 / 1 RM attempt

After this, I don't know what follows, but I'll keep you posted here.

Thanks!