starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift to Squat Weight Ratio

Default Deadlift to Squat Weight Ratio

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I recently got back into lifting after a 3 year hiatus (working 2 jobs to pay off debt like Ramsay says to, snowboarding accident, starting a family with twins and another baby, buying a house, etc).

I decided to run the SSLP again after realizing that I was too easy to kill in my current de-trained state, and our Constitutional Republic is smelling increasingly of banana as the days go by. I had previously ran the LP (and GOMAD) back in 2018 to good success. I went from 150lb to 195lb body weight in the span of 3 or so months at a muscle to fat ratio that had all the normies at work convinced that I had used better lifting through chemistry.

This was also the time that a certain group of jacked doctors and a bearded guy associated with a company involving the words 'medicine' and 'barbell' decided to cut ties with Starting Strength. I regretfully followed their lead as they believed in The Science, and so did I. I ultimately wasted a lot of time with RPE and excel sheets.

I'm currently on week 9 of the SSLP, and I'm running the Phase II version of it with power cleans as my alternative pull. I'm 5'11" tall at a body weight of 213 lbs, and I'm 31 years old.

My squat is currently at 310 for 3 sets of 5. My deadlift is at 325 for 1 set of 5. At my current pace, my squat weight will exceed my deadlift soon.

Despite my efforts to initially start the deadlift out higher than the squat, it seems that my squat work set weight has caught up to that of my deadlift. I am not missing any reps on the deadlift, but my lower back gets very fatigued by the time I get done with my squats, and even just loading the bar on the floor becomes uncomfortable. I train through it, but it has me wondering...

With the frequency of the squat being what it is at 3 times per week, that means the work set weight will go up 30 lbs every fortnight. For the deadlift in Phase II, it will go up 15 lbs in the same period. I understand that my starting weight on the deadlift may have been too conservative, and I may have had some mindset and form issues to exacerbate the problem initially. I do not currently use my 4" double-ply belt for the deadlift, as it impinges my start position. I am planning on buying a single ply 3" belt specifically for the deadlift soon.

Assuming that my squat form is to the correct depth and my deadlift form and mindset to grind is also good, should I be worried if my squat weight climbs above my deadlift? Are there any negative consequences to having a heavier squat than a deadlift? If so, what should be my path moving forward? Should I try increasing my deadlift weight increments or lifting day frequency? Should I decrease my squat weight increments?

Given a good squat depth and normal hands and arm length, the problem is usually grip. Have you deadlifted with straps and a 3-inch belt? Do so immediately.