starting strength gym

Thread: Adding Accessory Movements to Starting Strength

Default Adding Accessory Movements to Starting Strength

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I am following the Starting Strength workout program.

However, I want to add in some accessory movements. I’ve watched some of Starting Strength’s content, and they say it is ok to add in accessory movements, as long as you are hitting you main lifts every time.

So this is the modification I have made for Workouts A and B:
    Workout A:
    Squat – 3 X 5
    Overhead Press – 3 X 5
    Deadlift – 1 X 5
    Lat pulldown (1 set AMRAP)
    Decline crunch (1 set AMRAP)
    Lying dumbbell pullovers (1 set AMRAP)
    Forearm wrist curls (1 set AMRAP)
    Shrugs (1 set AMRAP)

Workout B:
    Squat – 3 X 5
    Bench Press – 3 X 5
    Deadlift – 1 X 5
    Cable lateral raise (1 set AMRAP)
    barbell curl (1 set AMRAP)
    EZ bar skull crusher (1 set AMRAP)
    cable push down (1 set AMRAP)
    Seated cable row (1 set AMRAP)

I am just wondering what you all think of such modifications with the added accessory movements. The reason I only do 1 set with the accessory movements is because I’m already worn out from the main lifts so I find it easier to just do 1 set to failure. I also know there are benefits to going to failure (learned that from 5/3/1 and Mike Mentzer).

What are your thoughts? Are these good accessory movements to improve my overall strength?
    Would I be better off doing different accessory movements?
    Would I be better off doing less accessory movements with more volume on the accessory movements?

Why are you including the accessory movements. Do you think the accessory movements will allow you to make faster progress on the main lifts?

I dont see why not. I dont think any of those accessory movements will be a detriment to your strength training as long as you are focusing on your main lifts and getting each rep every week while increasing the load on a regualr basis. If it makes you happy then go for it.

However, I dont see how any of those accessory movements is going to help you get bigger or stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by AllInForYah View Post
    I also know there are benefits to going to failure (learned that from 5/3/1 and Mike Mentzer).

What are your thoughts? Are these good accessory movements to improve my overall strength?
    Would I be better off doing less accessory movements with more volume on the accessory movements?
    Muscle failure is irrelevant. Adding weight is what's important for strength.

If you have never gone all the way through the Novice Linear Progression (and it sounds like you haven't), then your best approach is to do the NLP exactly as written, no more and no less, for as long as you can.

It's really that simple.

Best case scenario, you're young and healthy and the extra shit won't hurt your progress.
    More likely, the bodybuilding stuff will hurt you and/or your progress. This bullshit will in no way help you get stronger, especially not while doing the NLP. It will shorten your NLP.
    Understand that this kind of "program" is bodybuilding, and usually done by people having no clue and using PEDs.

1. Do all of the assistance exercises this week. Test yourself, and record your weight x reps on each, then...
    2. Forget about them and commit to the NLP for as long as possible, getting as strong as possible.
    3. At the end of your NLP revisit the "assistance" exercises again and see what has happened. You will find that you have not wasted your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    Muscle failure is irrelevant. Adding weight is what's important for strength.

If you have never gone all the way through the Novice Linear Progression (and it sounds like you haven't), then your best approach is to do the NLP exactly as written, no more and no less, for as long as you can.

It's really that simple.
    Would it be reasonable to say that it is almost impossible to achieve true muscle failure in an untrained novice? That the novice's neuromuscular system is not yet capable of summoning the force required to max out? And that extra "assistance" exercises may make it "feel" like muscle failure but is actually just depletion of glycogen? And also that since this method of training to failure is not feasible for the untrained novice, that a healthy balance of volume and intensity (say 3 sets of 5) with consistent progressive overload is what actually makes the novice stronger?

Also, why didn't the Fellowship take the ring over the northern pass of the Misty Mountains, nearer to Rivendell? Gloin told Frodo at the feast that Beorn's people were strong and vigilant about keeping the pass open and free from orcs. They could have avoided Caradras, Moria, and Isengard, used the Anduin to travel faster, camped on the west bank to avoid Dol Guldur, and made it to Lothlorien faster. More time to look at Galadriel.

Quote Originally Posted by AllInForYah View Post

However, I want to add in some accessory movements. I’ve watched some of Starting Strength’s content, and they say it is ok to add in accessory movements, as long as you are hitting you main lifts every time.

So this is the modification I have made for Workouts A and B:
    Workout A:
    Squat – 3 X 5
    Overhead Press – 3 X 5
    Deadlift – 1 X 5
    Lat pulldown (1 set AMRAP)
    Decline crunch (1 set AMRAP)
    Lying dumbbell pullovers (1 set AMRAP)
    Forearm wrist curls (1 set AMRAP)
    Shrugs (1 set AMRAP)

Workout B:
    Squat – 3 X 5
    Bench Press – 3 X 5
    Deadlift – 1 X 5
    Cable lateral raise (1 set AMRAP)
    barbell curl (1 set AMRAP)
    EZ bar skull crusher (1 set AMRAP)
    cable push down (1 set AMRAP)
    Seated cable row (1 set AMRAP)

I am just wondering what you all think of such modifications with the added accessory movements. The reason I only do 1 set with the accessory movements is because I’m already worn out from the main lifts so I find it easier to just do 1 set to failure. I also know there are benefits to going to failure (learned that from 5/3/1 and Mike Mentzer).

Don't if you are truly a novice you don't need it. As someone told me, use the lowest does of stress for response. Those isolation movments are over rated. Trust me they just cause usless sorness.

starting strength coach development program
    Ask yourself: what problem are you encountering that you think adding these movements will solve?