starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finer points of Strict Press programming

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    The arguments regarding neuromuscular efficiency for using triples with female/older trainees apply to the press as well: the press is the least neuromuscularly efficient lift, and so will almost certainly require some excursion into triples and singles to progress. An especially gifted presser might be able to do nothing but fives, but that guy doesn't need anyone's advice

Quote Originally Posted by Maybach View Post
    The arguments regarding neuromuscular efficiency for using triples with female/older trainees apply to the press as well: the press is the least neuromuscularly efficient lift, and so will almost certainly require some excursion into triples and singles to progress. An especially gifted presser might be able to do nothing but fives, but that guy doesn't need anyone's advice
    Do you think that in general maybe 5x3 rather than 3x5 for NLP might result in a stronger press before a switch to press intermediate programming is justified? I guess that is really the bottom line.

Don't get me wrong, 5's for the rest are almost magical. I've just noticed in my own attempts at progressing press 2.0, reps 1-3 are ok, 4-5 is where the form breaks down (relative to say the Bench) even if I can grind them out. But I was also in my 50's when 2.0 came out.

"Form breaking down" is sort of an ancillary concept here. I'm having trouble really conceiving of a "form breakdown" that would be especially undesirable on the press provided all the reps are locked out. Maybe really aggressive layback

The 5x3 press is a common late novice adjustment. I've noticed the lifts proceed in something of a hierarchy between "heavy top set" and "triples" for late novice: deadlifts can stay of fives for a very long time, with frequency dropping. Squats work with top sets and back offs, and press works best with triples. Bench is usually the "border", but not always. A female trainee might move all of these to triples. A gifted male athlete might never have to touch press triples. But yeah, it's in the grey book

starting strength coach development program
    Taking into account the information presented here, would something like this be reasonable:

#1: Press 5x5
    #2: Press 5x1, Bench 5x5
    #3 Pin Press 3x2, Bench variation 3x5

Perhaps through in a tricep extension movement in (like an LTE) and call it a week?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12