starting strength gym

Thread: Finer points of Strict Press programming

Default Finer points of Strict Press programming

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi all,

I have recently fallen in love with the Strict Press and am wanting to program the movement as best I am able.

I have run (for six weeks) a set-up based on Bill Starr's recommendations, lifting on both days presently available to me.

Saturday:
    - 3 to 6 sets x 3 reps then 1 back off set of 10.
    - Load progresses when 6 x 3 is achieved.

Tuesday:
    - 3 sets x 5 reps then 1 back off set of 10.
    - Increasing 1kg (2 pounds) weekly at the moment.

Before I get to my questions, my stats:
    - age 36
    - bodyweight 81kg (wanting to increase to about 85)
    - squat 160, bench 120, deadlift 210.

This set up is presently working, so I am mostly wanting to future proof for when my current linear progression stops working.

I have heard Rip mention a three-day set up comprising of: Day 1 5x5, Day 2 heavy singles, Day 3 Pin Press. Nick D made a similar recommendation here. In the next few weeks I'll be able to add a short third session on a Wednesday (so Saturday, Tuesday, Wednesday) during a lunch break at work (probably enough time to do 1 pressing movement plus 1 accessory).

I am therefore interested in exploring Rip's recommended set up further.

Questions:
    1) How many heavy singles and how heavy? The impression I get from Nick's video is 5-8 singles at least at 90%. How would you progress the load on these?
    2) Pin Press: any recommended sets or reps? How heavy? I tend to hit a sticking point around chin height so logically I would place the pins around there? I assume the point is to overload the press movement and so something like heavy doubles would make sense to me, but I may be missing the point entirely.
    3) Other than the Strict Press volume laid out above, would any further accessories be helpful - the volume looks recoverable to me so it should be feasible to add a second movement each day (CG Bench, Incline Bench, Dips and triceps isolations come to mind as possibilities), any recommendations?

Any other thoughts, advice or recommendations very welcome!

We do not use the strict press. Just do what Starr recommends.

Starr *also* doesn't use the strict press, for that matter.

1) 5-10, as heavy as you can get them. Progress by adding some amount each week. What this amount is will depend on many things we don't know about you.

2) Point's to pin press heavier than your full press. The ratio and rep scheme will depend on what you're trying to do. Doubles or single should work to progress singles. It needs to be as much heavier than your full press as you can make it.

3)Bench press.

There's no such thing as "future proofing" a program. You are already doing intermediate programming. You are not doing linear progression of any sort. The programming decisions made when this stops working will depend on what exactly this "not working" looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    We do not use the strict press. Just do what Starr recommends.
    Forgive me Rip, but I'm pretty sure Nick D did mention doing strict press for the volume and press 2.0 for the singles in his press programming thread a while back.

I don't actually know why though? I thought it would be better just to keep the press the same all the time to practice the groove of it.
    Maybe I misread him.

My press sucks but Byron Johnson is apparently coming to Aus next month so I'll be driving 5 hours there to go fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shenfield View Post
    Forgive me Rip, but I'm pretty sure Nick D did mention doing strict press for the volume and press 2.0 for the singles in his press programming thread a while back.

I don't actually know why though? I thought it would be better just to keep the press the same all the time to practice the groove of it.
    Maybe I misread him.

My press sucks but Byron Johnson is apparently coming to Aus next month so I'll be driving 5 hours there to go fix it.
    Once I have people doing 5x5 and singles, I will usually switch the 5x5 to a strict press just to make the reps slower and grindier. It works well, especially for people who have a lot of hip movement and layback. Honestly, most people have almost no hip movement, so it may not matter too much.