starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to learn the Power Snatch ?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    I disagree with the comments that the first pull is irrelevant unless you're a competitive weightlifter. That's like saying your squat form is irrelevant unless you're a competitive powerlifter. Form matters. A bad pull = less weight.

Why do you suppose Rippetoe, who is a certified Senior USAW (i.e., weightlifting) coach spends such time and detail describing these lifts (specifically the power clean and the deadlift); why do you suggest his recommendations are invalid (consider that there may be more than one "right" way do it); and why post a long and largely incomprehensible essay on the subject? (like 95% of literature on this stuff. It's one thing to know how to lift well; it's another thing to know how to coach well; it's yet another thing to know how to write well about what you know; and that's why Rip's books are exceptional)

I agree, Sig. Brutto; the snatch (or the power snatch) is a great lift. It's not terribly difficult to learn. Same principles as the clean; tight arched back, bar over forefoot, elbows out. Everett's photos are good. Have fun with it, and get strong.

Some other resources besides Artie Dreschler's book, are Tommy Kono's book, vid's from USAW (if still available), Denis Reno's newsletter, Mike's Gym, goheavy.com, and, of course, a coach.
    Squat technnique is important, but you wouldn't squat like a powerlifter unless you are one.

I doubt that a first pull would limit the weight you can power clean if you are not a Weightlifter.

Maybe I don't undestand your point. It seems basic to me that bad form, especially in a novice, is going to mess with his lifts. With respect to the first pull, let me count the ways:
    --lats not tight
    --back not arched
    --looking down
    --looking at the girl across the room
    --barbell jammed up against the shins before squatting down
    --bent arms
    --improperly spaced hands
    --pulling from the toes
    --etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by matclone View Post
    Maybe I don't undestand your point. It seems basic to me that bad form, especially in a novice, is going to mess with his lifts. With respect to the first pull, let me count the ways:
    --lats not tight
    --back not arched
    --looking down
    --looking at the girl across the room
    --barbell jammed up against the shins before squatting down
    --bent arms
    --improperly spaced hands
    --pulling from the toes
    --etc etc
    We are not arguing against bad form vs. good form. We are arguing about the effect of the firt pull using Rip's style vs Everett's style on someone who isn't a weightlifter.
    Don't get me wrong here. I pull the way Rip describes because it makes more sense to me, and I said that Greg's arguments sound rather silly, but I just don't think it makes a lot of difference, unless you are a weightlifter.
    Last edited by coldfire; 11-20-2009 at 02:57 AM.

Gentlemen (and Ladies, obviously),

thank you very much for all the input.
    I have no ambition regarding Olympic lifts; I just think they are beautiful athletic movements, and mastering them, even to a very low degree, will give me a lot of satisfaction. Hence why I want to include them in my program.

Regarding the discussion about the first pull, I think I now understand what Mark Rippetoe wrote to me in another thread (which you can find here, with videos: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=13440).

I asked him to comment on my Deadlift and Power Clean form, and one of this notes was simply: "your PC need to look more like your DL". I must admit I could not penetrate these cryptic words but now, thanks to your comments, I think I have a key.

Thanks again,

IPB

PS
    (you're welcome to comment further on those videos, should you want to).

matclone:

Yes, you're misreading me/us. There are obviously plenty of ways to pull that are just plain wrong, which OP should avoid. The issue is this technical debate about the correct back angle for the first pull, which is out there, whether you like it or not. I think the OP should know about it because it will help him understand the video he's looking at and some of the stuff that he will be reading, but I also think it's something he should not worry about given his goals.

PS:

I have no business coaching anyone, so I'll leave the commenting on videos for other folk.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by rhymer View Post
    PS:

I have no business coaching anyone, so I'll leave the commenting on videos for other folk.
    fair point, nicely put across. Thanks,

IPB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12