starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Being an Upright Citizen, Not an Upright Squatter

Damn, that's quite a squat arse you've managed to grow.

Change in back angle doesn't look that bad at all from this perspective. Noticeable, but to be expected at the stage of the program you're at.

Looked a little loose at the bottom: the speed of your descent probably added some momentum to the bar that you were having to overcome.

All in all, good job!!!

-S.

Gary, you must realize that you squat a fuckload more weight than just about any other asshole posting on here, myself included. Your squats are legit, whatever minor form imperfections you can find through video analysis when you approach maximal weights. Whatever you are doing is working.

To those asking Gary things like, "Have you tried the standard SS adjustments?" The answer is yes. He has the book. He can squat over 400 fucking pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    Gary, you must realize that you squat a fuckload more weight than just about any other asshole posting on here, myself included. Your squats are legit, whatever minor form imperfections you can find through video analysis when you approach maximal weights. Whatever you are doing is working.

To those asking Gary things like, "Have you tried the standard SS adjustments?" The answer is yes. He has the book. He can squat over 400 fucking pounds.
    This is right.

From what I've read about Smolov - It is supposed to rape you. It is doing that and yet you are maintaining damn good form - Just keep maintaining that form.

Thanks.

Note that my form is perfect with 315 for reps. It's easy till it gets heavy.

Also note that as of this entry I've only squatted 395 for a single. I've yet to squat 400 or more...though I definitely will squat more than 400 when I go to test in a week. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nauticus View Post
    Damn, that's quite a squat arse you've managed to grow.
    After height and money, there's sense of humor and a squat arse.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Gibson View Post
    After height and money, there's sense of humor and a squat arse.

You need to talk to this guy over at Rip's Q and A.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullontilt
    Another worry I have is that my ass is gonna get really big. I've been doing air-squats for a couple of months and i've definitely noticed an improvement, but I know it could be better. I want my ass to get rounder and firmer, but I want it to get smaller rather larger. I guess what I'm saying is I don't want it to be turn out really big, (although given my current height and weight, I wonder how big it could really get), just nicely-sized, firm, and round.

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post

TomC, I don't think anyone here is trying to insult Gary, his intelligence or his ability: I sincerely believe everyone wishes him well here and means the best. Gary posted the video on a public forum where all could see it, presumably to share it and invite comments. No one, regardless of level of experience or level or strength, is beyond criticism. I'm not, you're not, he's not. For example, I still go back and read Starting Strength, the notes that I took at Rip's barbell cert, and rewatch the SS DVD periodically because I recognize this.

I don't get the hate.

-Stacey

starting strength coach development program
    I don't see any hate, just some support.

I appreciate the feedback, but I was exploring form breakdown under conditions of great load and fatigue. I just wanted input on how much I got bent over when it got really heavy.

It's easy to be perfect when it's light. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOiZnmxcnd0

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast