starting strength gym

Thread: Squats making my shoulders tight?

Default Squats making my shoulders tight?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been doing SS for about 3 weeks, and in the last week or so I've noticed that it's more and more difficult to get my shoulders into position when I get under the bar. I need to do shoulder dislocations before my first warm-up set to even get under the bar, and I now need to start with a very wide grip and work closer with each set. I've also noticed that when I hold my arm out to the side with the elbow at 90 degree and rotate my hand forward, there is some discomfort along the front of the shoulder when I reach my end range.

Has anyone else had this happen to them, or recognize the symptoms? I guess I'm just wondering if I should be worried about this, or if I should just take more time warming up now that the weights are getting heavier.

Shoulder complaints are common with the low bar technique. You want to first address the obvious things:

• Are your wrists badly bent under the bar?
    • What is your hand position with respect to the bar?
    • Are you putting the bar too low?
    • Are you trying to get your elbows too high?
    • Do you have a foam roller and are you using it?

I've had some shoulder/elbow pain at various times through my training. I generally found that foam rolling/lacrosse balls have helped with sore spots. I also found that over time, I adapted to the stress. I have made some grip adjustments along the way, but low bar generally does not bother me any longer.

Keep an eye on it. Do the necessary maintenance. If it gets worse, get a massage and tweak your hand positioning as needed. If it is crippling you, take a break and/or try high bar squats.

Search function in Mark's Q&A will give you a plethora of info.

TomC covered most of the major hits.

I have had shoulder issues as well, but not this early in SS. How is your shoulder flexibility? Many Oly lifters use a broom stick and after a warm up row do shoulder rotations. Take the broom stick and hold it at your thighs arms wider then shoulder width (the width will vary with flexibility). Then raise the broom stick straight out (like a front delt raise) and then keep going over your head and finish with the broom stick on your backside. Some people can do this without bending their elbows and it helps. Some people cringe at the thought, depends on flexibility. It really helps in opening the shoulders and I use it if I am tight, combined with a massage and I was back under the bar. If the explanation sucks try a search on vimeo or youtube.

Lol, squats don't make your shoulders tight, that's just when you notice tightness, as they stretch your shoulders out.

Probably getting tight from all the pressing work.

Quote Originally Posted by The Laughing Man View Post
    Lol, squats don't make your shoulders tight, that's just when you notice tightness, as they stretch your shoulders out.
    No, but low bar squats can make joints and tendons sore on occasion.

+1 for shoulder rotations/dislocates.

they are extremely effective for loosening up shoulders, and especially good for those people who are too tight to get a good un-bent wrist, low bar grip.

A bunch of people have complained of shoulder and elbow problems being caused or aggravated by low-bar squats.

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=14589

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. A trip to the massage therapist might be in order soon. And yeah, shoulder dislocations are key. I still have to work my hands in towards my shoulders as I warm up, but I can't even get under the bar without the dislocations first.