starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Do You Train?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I train because all my life I have done everything different than the normal Joe. Now I look at all these obese people (and they are fucking everywhere) and smile inside.

I have no respect for most people... Rip says people are lazy but that's not the half of it... 99% of people are lazy and ignorant, and who the hell wants to be like that.

Quote Originally Posted by scotts View Post
    Because my self respect is tied directly to how much I can squat, and my self respect had gone up considerably over the last year.
    That's pathetic. Honest, but pathetic.

i lift as a coping mechanism. Having HepC that already killed my own liver. Im now almost 5 years out in april2010 as of july 09 i get annual biopsy which takes a small piece of the organ and runs pathology. i was told Hep C is back and there is a tiny amount of scarring on my new liver's surface. I eat right exercise occasionally took my meds. When i found out it brought back memories of lying in a hospital bed wishing someone had the sense to smother me with a pillow or overdose me. Now that i'm immuno suppressed it'll take a very short time to get completely sick and literally look like a corpse.

Since july i have lifted religiously as if if this was gonna make everything ok. it does in my head. the dr's say im not bad enough for counter measures. granted i feel completely healthy and strong as i can be -but still the clock is ticking on the molecular level. so i lift and lift like this is gonna save my ass. it might cause if it comes down to needing a new liver i'll be in my mid 40's to early 50's and the way the body takes a beating i figure i need to be at my most physical best no excuses.

see attached.
    Picture 029.jpg
    Last edited by StrongIslander,NY; 12-18-2009 at 05:04 PM.

Picture 0014.jpg compared to now. much fuller in face etc... dont look like death...lol

A friend of mine who doesn't train and doesn't get lifting asked me this recently. I only gave a half-assed answer, so I emailed him later with this:

Strong people are harder to kill, and more useful in general. So in case of a zombie plague, you know who to come to.

Physiologically, exercise is great for my mental health.

It's a place to refocus my 'addictive' energy. By having goals, and working to accomplish them, it's something I can do and focus on in my idle time.

It's a great stress-relief. Nothing clears the mind more than putting a heavy weight on your shoulders, squatting with it, and knowing that you need to do it 4 more times. All that can possibly stay in my brain is 'damn this is heavy'.

Regularly doing hard, unpleasant things, like squatting and deadlifting heavy, teaches me to do things that are hard.

Quote Originally Posted by msingh View Post
    It's not pathetic. It's the way our ego works. When our squat goes up, we have not only incremented the weight, we've incremented our confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Nauticus View Post
    It's not pathetic. It's the way our ego works. When our squat goes up, we have not only incremented the weight, we've incremented our confidence.
    Agreed. I honestly don't have a big ego about what I lift, but squatting heavy weights that I've been afraid of all morning has increased my self-confidence. Nothing in life seems as hard as it used to now.

Squats are good for the soul.

I find bench harder. I hate when that bar slows down and it's going to crush you but you have to finish the set...

why the fuck are you posting in this thread?

the OP was a question about why you train. You don't train.

Quote Originally Posted by msingh View Post
    Last edited by misspelledgeoff; 12-18-2009 at 06:14 PM. Reason: clarity

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by misspelledgeoff View Post
    why the fuck are you posting in this thread?

the OP was a question about why you train. You don't train.
    So where exactly did I say I did? And what exactly is your problem?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast