starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keeping Strength in the Strength Program

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    This was an extremely well written article. I really hope Bill Starr continues to contribute. Thank you to all those involved!

He will. It's been arranged.

Seeing Starr's stuff compiled in one or move volumes would be nice.

Default Hells Yea

This was an awesome article.

I sent it to the township I work for where I took leave from.

They prob won't care though.

At one point, their Football team was 0-46, almost closing on a 5 yr losing streak.

Their weight program sucked balls, they did sled sprints w/an empty sled and did 5 inch squats.

Pure shit.... as you can see, it fires me up.

When I attended that high school, they won states 2 x and had records of 8-2 on other years

ALL they did was:

bench, squat, dead, mil press and barbell cheat curl

but, it was all heavy

I remember seeing them take over the weight room and do reps in the 1-5 range of everything

Even the QB was benching 275!!!

They all ATE BIG, and after every game the entire team hung out at McDonalds, chowing down.

Lots of BIG, strong dudes in the 210-230 lb range

I have worked for 11 yrs in this town and had 2 get away

I spoke endlessly on having me moved to the high school to train athletes during PE time, did this for 5 yrs, NO luck

OH well, f**k it, some people just don't "get it" and have no clue what it takes to be strong.

This site rules, Rip, ur the f**in' man, what else can I say!!??

--Z--

Somehow MY high school football team completely avoided having any coherent lifting program at all. The average football player was more likely to be involved in theater than weightlifting in the off season.

I remember speaking with the head strength coach at University of Washington back in the early 1990's when they were very good. He talked about injuries in the weight room and said when you are on the practice field working hard sometimes injuries happen, nobody wants it but it is a consequence of practicing hard. When in the weight room we work hard, sometimes someone may get hurt, we do everything we can to prevent it, technique, spotters, etc... but we will not stop working hard in the weight room. I loved that attitude.

I really enjoyed the article and totally agree with the principles of the article. I think a lot of the problems with Sports teams in general is the people coaching and designing the strength programs.

I actually started lifting weights when I was 12 but no one ever taught me how or technique. When I made it to high school I was about the only one who lifted free weights, I went to a small school and they never taught us anything.

I made it to a D III school to play football and they expected us to do power cleans and never demonstrated the technique or anything. Total Shit! So I basically Was doing jumping reverse curls for 4 years.

I am now 32 and trying to retrain myself, I would like to do the cleans but Think I need to definitely get stronger before I try to teach myself. Currently my program is based around the slow lifts-BP, BSQ, DL, & PR.

I love this forum-Keep up the good work!

starting strength coach development program
    It was good to read. All those machines are with us still, sad to say. One of my gyms has a shoulder press machine, cost them $4,400.

$4,400 just for one exercise, madness. Imagine the rack, barbell and plates you could get for $4,400 - and do as many exercises as you like. Or $4,400 worth of dumbells, or kettlebells, or whatever you're into.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12