starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deadlift PR

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Quote Originally Posted by El Viejo View Post
    Regarding Cmanuel's form - I was just listening to a podcast on iron radio where powerlifter Phil Stevens made the comment that PR's are NEVER pretty.
    I forget who said this, but: "If it was pretty, then it wasn't your max."

El Viejo, my experience concurs with what PMDL stated. Rack pulls only have an effect if you pull from your sticking point. A really high rack pull is like a really high quarter squat or a really shallow leg press; not saying these things don't do some good (thickening connective tissue and promoting bone density maybe), but they won't carry over to full range.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Gibson View Post
    I forget who said this, but: "If it was pretty, then it wasn't your max."

El Viejo, my experience concurs with what PMDL stated. Rack pulls only have an effect if you pull from your sticking point. A really high rack pull is like a really high quarter squat or a really shallow leg press; not saying these things don't do some good (thickening connective tissue and promoting bone density maybe), but they won't carry over to full range.
    I think the problem here is that the weight isn't pulling him out of position, but that he starts off in a poor position implying underlying technique issues even at lighter weights.

That being said, OP seems to think he knows how to remedy his situation and did not ask for feedback. Also, I only deadlift 160Kg for 5 reps so I'm in no position to criticise.

Quote Originally Posted by khal View Post
    That being said, OP seems to think he knows how to remedy his situation and did not ask for feedback.
    (For the record, I didn't offer any fixes.) I know maxes can look ugly--which is why I used that quote--but the nature of the internet invites criticism--usually well meaning--when things aren't pretty.

But that's life. Two things that contest can be true. In fact, that's usually the case which is why human life is so filled with conflict.

Does Cmanuel's back initial back position deserve criticism? Yup.

Is Cmanuel an absurdly dedicated, strong guy who should be very proud of a legal-if-not-ideal triple bodyweight deadlift? Yup.

This fella starts off with a bad position too. If only he had good form he could be strong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh-ikyBAQr8

Congrats man!!!

konstantinovs keeps pretty good lumbar extension during his lift.

Quote Originally Posted by milesdyson View Post
    konstantinovs keeps pretty good lumbar extension during his lift.
    Yup. It's his thoracic region that's flexed. This is safe for him because he has a monstrously strong rectus abdominis generating lots of internal abdominal pressure and keeping his lumbar nice and neutral and allowing his thoracic spine to flex safely and thus reducing the distance the bar has to travel. Most lifters let their entire spine flex in an attempt to reduce the distance to lockout when the lift gets really tough. (This is part of the reason I prefer sumo in competition; it shortens the lever arm the torso forms with the hips as the fulcrum; less torque to worry about pulling the lumbar out of extension for max pulls.)

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDL View Post
    This fella starts off with a bad position too. If only he had good form he could be strong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh-ikyBAQr8
    KK has often said he could not pass the 770 or so mark with strict form... once he started using the current form...well, you see the resuts.

Gary summed it up well with his quote. Thats how I feel about 1 rep maxes. It doesnt have to be pretty, as long as it would pass on the platform thats all i give a shit about.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123