starting strength gym
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead lift 1x5 v 2x3

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    Well, you're doing 6 reps instead of 5. Take whatever weight you are using, multiply it by 5, then multiply it by six and subtract 1 from the other
    But you will be using heavier weights for triples.

decent math fail there too. if you assume the same weight, the difference would just be the weight used.

Quote Originally Posted by coldfire View Post
    But you will be using heavier weights for triples.
    My bad, I did not see the part about having heavier weight.

So just multiply six by #lbs= total weight lifted.
    Do the same for whatever you were lifting for a set of 5 and figure out the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
    I wonder what the difference in tonage is between the two.

I don't think there is anything really wrong with doing the 2 sets of 3, but the point Mr. City makes might be more significant than people think. Running some example numbers...

385x5 = 1925

405x3x2 = 2430

26% increase in workload

Who gives a shit really. It's more, right fellas?

Quote Originally Posted by ZKP View Post
    Who gives a shit really. It's more, right fellas?
    I think starting strength makes a point of establishing that "More is just more." If doing more pushes you past your recovery limits, then more is bad.

What has your DL progressed to?

1x5 took mine from 225x5 to 485x1 in a relatively linear fashion. It worked for me, but 2x3 might work for others.

Quote Originally Posted by TrackJunkie View Post
    I think starting strength makes a point of establishing that "More is just more." If doing more pushes you past your recovery limits, then more is bad.
    And that will have nothing to do with what number you come up with using rather simple mathematics. Does your CNS care what # you come up with? Plus there is a break in the middle, so how do we work that into the tonnage equation? I'm simply pointing out that we can over complicate this over a moot point....

And that will have nothing to do with what number you come up with using rather simple mathematics. Does your CNS care what # you come up with? Plus there is a break in the middle, so how do we work that into the tonnage equation? I'm simply pointing out that we can over complicate this over a moot point....

I agree, no need to overcomplicate things and if you don't recover then you need to make changes and if you are recovering and making progress then all is good. But doesn't hurt to think about these types of things either.

starting strength coach development program
    Let's simplify our analysis of the 2x3 vs 1x5 even further, and keep it below the level of basic arithmetic.

Your body has some ability to recover from stress. If 2x3 places more stress on your body than you can recover from between workouts, it doesn't belong in a novice linear progression program. If it places enough stress on your body that you can recover from that stress between workouts, then we can keep it in the program, but it's just fulfilling the function of the 1x5 deadlift, so just do whichever you like better as long as you're making your linear progress.

Novices will make progress on almost anything. The question is just how far you can get along linear progression before you have to stop. Does 2x3 or 1x5 let the novice make more progress before switching to intermediate programming? I'm guessing the one with less volume.
    Last edited by TrackJunkie; 01-09-2010 at 01:53 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast