starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to low-bar squat deep without using the posterior chain?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Well, if you let your knees travel forward throughout the whole descent then you will not feel the posterior chain. If you go down correct, you may also not feel the stretch. I only feel it sometimes, mostly during the last warmup set. During the work set I'm to busy with "knees out" in my reps to concentrate on the posterior chain. But I usually feel the posterior chain between sets and afterwards.

I meant to say "acceptable at worst." In fact, I think that's what I did say. I may be wrong, though. I didn't actually go back and look.

Yeah, you're right. Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post

Compound lifts done regularly also do not cause DOMS.
    I see this repeated a lot, never with any accompanying data and rarely with even any anecdotal evidence. I know I can't be the only guy here who has been lifting regularly for 10+ years and still gets DOMS from squats, weighted chins, bench presses, and power cleans.

I agree.

I haven't missed Monday's squatting more than a handful of times in the past few years and I haven't missed being sore Tuesday and more so Wednesday, either.

I also do more leg work although exactly what varies. I don't just do legs once a week like a bodybuilder would.

Some people gets DOMS, some people don't. Mine has diminished as training goes on, but I know strong bastards who train very regularly and warm down thoroughly who still get DOMS. No-one quite knows what causes them, though I'm sure lactic acid buildup doesn't help.

Dastardly's a nice guy, but he hasn't been lifting long or heavy, despite his predilection for jumping into topics.

Quote Originally Posted by gzt View Post
    Dastardly's a nice guy, but he hasn't been lifting long or heavy, despite his predilection for jumping into topics.

I have a habit of thinking out loud and making it sound "matter of fact" like.

You would all agree that with compound vs. isolation, compound will produce less DOMS.

Also not ever going to failure like BB'ers doing isolation movements like to.

And then, if you are training the same movements for similar reps and loads every session. (like SS novice progression) then DOMS is likeley to dissapear completely.

DOMS usually takes 2 days to arrive anyhow for someone training regularly, and if you are following SS style programming you should be training again on that day which makes any DOMS go away again.

DOMS occurs most strongly when doing something different, like new movement, extra dynamic, different reps etc. This is common sense right?

Also, stretching helps minimise DOMS and I realise many people do none at all.

DOMS is very complex and mysterious. There are few things that are really well known about it. One is that eccentric movements seem to have something to do with it. Another is that doing a new movement will often bring it on. Another is that it typically presents 24-72 hours afterwards.

Most of the rest of it is heresay, conjecture, or myth. Including your bit about stretching. Some conjectures are better supported than others, but are still conjectures.

starting strength coach development program
    I've been squatting 3x/week for a year and a half and Monday's 5x5 doesn't fail to make me sore as shit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast