starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many cals do you guys eat a day?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    first post, be gentle.
    I've been struggling with this for a month now. I started SS in Jan. I should also say I'm 49 years old. 5'11", right now 210 and I'm getting fat, also really strong, but chuncky also. I'm getting about 2700 calories/day and 200 grams protein. Do you think because of my age I should cut down the calories a bit? I don't mind the fat from aesthetic point of view, I won't win any beauty awards but from a health perspective.
    Thanks for your help, I've learned a ton lurking, thought it was time to come in from the cold

Welcome.

Eat enough so that you can keep on lifting heavier weights. If your weights stall, the first thing you should look at is your diet. 2700 isn't much, but if you're progressing on it good for you. DOn't be afraid to bump it up if you need to.

Quote Originally Posted by gordonrumble View Post
    Welcome.

Eat enough so that you can keep on lifting heavier weights. If your weights stall, the first thing you should look at is your diet. 2700 isn't much, but if you're progressing on it good for you. DOn't be afraid to bump it up if you need to.
    The weights are still progressing, 2700 feels like a ton. Today is the first day in a LONG time I feel like crap. I might be catching a cold. HATE when that happens

5'9"
    ~210
    33 years old

Sort of in between maintaining and dropping some weight right now. Probably should drop a bit, but not completely committed yet. Don't really want to gain right now.

If I use fitday calculator and go for between 2500 and 3000 calories with 250+ protein and approximately 80g fat with the rest carbs it seems like I drop pretty fast right now, but my intake has been high for a while so metabolism is faster than normal for me right now.

Around 3000 seems to be maintenance level and I don't generally do a good job of counting it if I'm gaining weight.

I have carb addiction that I should try to get over. Causes me to fall off the wagon some days.
    Last edited by zepled37; 02-17-2010 at 08:38 PM. Reason: carb addiction....

At least 5000 when I was gaining. Injured my right let and came down with some kinda sickens so it will be a few weeks before I can get back at it. 6'1" 195

4000kcal average.

A lot of it from carbs. Got me from 64 to 70kg but Is not really causing much growth stimulus anymore.

Only 2-3 eggs in the morning (not like you 10 egg mentalists unfortunately) with toast and something green, like spinach, peas or broccoli

snack: heaving peanut butter sandwich and some milk.

Post workout main meal of day:

2 courses, one meat and one fish or vegetable dish. Both with rice.

Last meal examples:

some pasta with tuna in it/Pizza/fish&chips/noodle stir fry.

Bedtime: large bowful of greek yoghurt or some milk.

3000-4000 per day. At least 200 grams of protein. I'm 190 pounds trying to get to 210.

I'm about to up my milk intake if my stomach can handle it.

36 yrs old, 6' tall Nearing the end of the linear progression but I am trying to stretch it out a couple more months.
    3500-4500 Kcal according to fitday
    228 lbs...and I've sort of stabilized here. I'm prepared to go up to 250-260 before I need to diet back down. I have had to buy new pants to fit my thighs and butt and now my arms and chest aren't fitting into my dress shirts as of this week....this is starting to get expensive.

5'8" 29 yr old. Went from 175lb in October to 210 this month. 5000 calories, at the least. I ate every thing i saw or touched that could be considered food.

Probably half of the weight gained is fat, but I don't care, I wanted to be strong.........er.

Doing about 3000 a day now, with 225 grams of protein. I still don't micro manage fats and carbs.

starting strength coach development program
    Another question, for those of you maintaining on like 4000 cals a day and who weigh 200-250 lbs -- how tall are you, and what BF do you guess you're at, etc? Do you guys have naturally fast metabolisms or something? My maintenance right now as a "90s small" type guy starting out is like 2500, but I also tend to gain weight very easily, which perhaps many of you struggle with.

Basically I'm trying to figure out if I need to GOMAD once I start bulking or not, or if that's the way I should go as a guy with a slower metabolism (more endo type, not an ecto as I think many are).

Something in my understanding of the mechanics of the universe is amiss here.
    Last edited by nobodyhome; 02-18-2010 at 11:28 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast