starting strength gym

Thread: Getting proficient on the bounce

Default Getting proficient on the bounce

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've lately began to really get a grip on controlling the bounce from the squat. The cue that helps the most along with keeping everything tight is to picture trying to split my pants, instead of thinking knees out. The difference for me personally is huge and contributes greatly to the squat. Instead of grinding it out from the bottom, I'm getting assistance out of the hole. Admittedly, this is a rather new phenomenon for me, but I'm sure I'm doing it right; the tension feels like it's muscle, not dive bombing and fucking the knees.

No real point to the thread; but getting that bounce down helps tremendously. I highly encourage everyone to work on it until you get it down.

congratulations on your "aha!" moment. the bounce rocks. i just suck at keeping a straight bar path when utilizing it

I'd love to be at a meet when your coach yells out your cue....

"Rip those PANTS"

Quote Originally Posted by METAL VIPER View Post
    I've lately began to really get a grip on controlling the bounce from the squat. The cue that helps the most along with keeping everything tight is to picture trying to split my pants, instead of thinking knees out.
    Interesting, please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by william jackson View Post
    congratulations on your "aha!" moment. the bounce rocks. i just suck at keeping a straight bar path when utilizing it
    Definitely agreed on that; a few times I tended to come forward on my toes a little bit. Going to try to offset that by keeping the chest high as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD9692 View Post
    Interesting, please explain.
    To me, it just proved to be a case of experimentation and finding what works best for you. I was finding that even if I got me knees out, my adductors weren't being fully stretched. I played with it a little bit and found that if I pictured, and bear with me hear for the sake of illustration, wearing tight pants and trying to split them at the crotch or even if I was wrapped in something like toilet paper and was trying to break out of it using only me legs, I finally could feel my adductors and was beginning to get a good bounce.

Now that the weight is getting heavier, I'm trying to focus on keeping everything as tight as possible to prevent any form mishaps.

I had a major stall a while back because I realized I wasnt taking advantage of the bounce. Isn't it great when you have to learn stuff the hard way?

starting strength coach development program
    "Splitting your pants" might cue you to stick your butt/hips back. I've had a similar experience of pushing my knees out while not feeling a bounce. When I figured out that I needed to start the down-movement of the squat by pushing my hips back, this helped to induce a better bounce.