starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My best training tool EVER

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    When I had the iPhone, I used this program. Took a little effort to set things up beforehand, but it was OK. Now that I dropped the iPhone for a Droid Incredible, there are decent gym programs but nothing I've found that works for SS style programs. I just sent the excel sheet with my weights to my phone and worked off that for the past month, but I just picked up a 99cent notepad today. I'll keep an eye on the app store for a decent program, but not a whole lot out there easier to use than pen and paper.

What is the best training tool ever?
    Last edited by Marotta; 10-06-2010 at 01:08 PM.

Aside from a barbell, squat rack, and flat bench? Weight belt for weighted dips and chins. I don't care how good you are, I have yet to see anyone put a 100lb dumbell between their legs without hanging it from a weight belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Allen View Post
    Aside from a barbell, squat rack, and flat bench? Weight belt for weighted dips and chins. I don't care how good you are, I have yet to see anyone put a 100lb dumbell between their legs without hanging it from a weight belt.
    watch some crossfit pull up and dip videos then comeback.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    I don't understand timed rest periods. I squat when I'm ready to squat. How long it takes depends on how much sleep I got, how much and what I've eaten, how stressful work was, the weather, lunar alignment and various other microscopic things. I rest till my muscles are not burning and my breathing is normal. It may be 2 minutes after my first set, it may be 8 minutes before my last set.
    I'm not sure why others may do this, but my initial reasons were somewhat similar to the OP's; it allowed me to (try to) control another variable from workout to workout. I'm not yet at a weight where I struggle to complete a set of 5. Holding rest periods constant allowed me to have the only thing changing from workout to workout be the weight lifted.

Now, I did not pick a certain time period and stick to it. As the weights go up and it gets harder, I increase the rest period. At this point, I think I do it b/c I'm used to it. Also, I only have about 35-40 minutes to actually lift, so I need to keep the rest periods relatively short.

I know that this isn't ideal, and as the weights go up, so will my rest periods. At some point, I will probably just have to go to 2 exercises per workout, but I want to hold off on that as long as possible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12