starting strength gym

Thread: Escalating Density Training

Default Escalating Density Training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Using EDT with basic barbell exercises, a good idea or not?

If you can get it done. Safely. I used to use something similar with 20 rep weights. Nothing more than speed sets with decreasing rest.

Is it a legitimate type of training program? If you compare it to a 3X5 or 5X5 training program you actually lift more total weight in a given time and you also do more work. It appears to be low weight high reps over a set time with increasing rest periods to avoid muscle failure.

I did it for about 2 months give or take. Its works alright. You'll be surprised how many chins you will be able to do after a while.

I would avoid doing compound lifts for both exercises. Unless your conditioning is top notch.

I liked doing a main lift first then doing the EDT with accessory work. Squats, then RDL and leg presses etc..

Or Presses, then dips and curl.

It's legit. Staley is a good trainer. The overall benefit is increasing work capacity, strength endurance, and shocking the body into compliance and growth. If you went with a phase of EDT and back into TM, 5x5, 5-3-1, or the like you will see some happy times.
    +1 for Dano's post.

the one thing I needed to learn was to avoid failure and add more sets. Your work capacity takes a big nose dive once you hit failure. so if you have a 10rm weight start at 5 reps and decrease reps to avoid failure rather than trying to maintain 5 reps throughout. you'll end up getting more reps in the 15 min time span. think of it as rest pause with cluster sets. HST uses a lot of similar principles.

also if you are coming from a 5rm training background you will not have very good work capacity at 10rm weights so start lighter than a 10rm calculator would suggest.

I tried EDT with barbell exercises such as DL, OHP, Squats and BP but with a lot lighter weight than a 3X3 or 5X5 program and over over 15 min period the total weight lifted is greater than a 5X5 program on the same lift even though the weight is less than the 10rm. However I feel the strain the next day, it sure knocks the stuffing out of you. If after two lifts with the same weight there is an increase of about 20% in the total weight lifted I add about a kG, then next time reset the count and so on. It feels harder than 5X5.

starting strength coach development program
    I've used it for arms before. Probably the best pumps I've ever had but I didn't do it on a regular basis. I just threw it in to mix things up. It was very taxing on the arms so I can't imagine how hard it would be with compound lifts and larger muscle groups.