starting strength gym
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: question about supplements.

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    The tyrosine with the caffeine is for "mental energy". I don't agree with carnie's recommendations as he well knows it, I think you should get some creatine now and take some for the rest of your life.

Minnesota Raised, Live in California now.

I'm pretty sure it only goes bad if it's in a liquid. The creatine drinks eventually break down into creatinine, which is no good. The dry stuff lasts a few years (check the exp date) as long as you keep it dry.

liquid is make believe nonsense. just buy regular creatine if you are going to.

should BCAA's be taken in capsules or powder form?

Does the brand of BCAA's matter? or any supplements in general? I was thinking about buying Optimum Nutrition BCAAs and Whey.

Plain BCAA powder tastes like monkey butt. Straight yuck. It needs something like Tang to kill the effect. I am not a fan of pills because you can't be sure of when it will hit your system. Optimum is solid stuff though, nice company.

I splurge on USPs Modern BCAA powder. Smells like the worst shit ever put in a can but tastes good. Plain BCAAs = no real odor, horrible taste. Makes no sense. I buy my stuff from Vitamin Shoppe so I get bonus points for free money at the end of the year and good sales yearlong.

Right now I am riding the BCAA on an empty stomach kite pretty hard because I am trying to hit BWx50 after my working squats. Sucks.

Ok, I have a serious supplement question, since I went into a GNC for the first time in many years. It is like information overload, and a lot of the stuff they were saying was BS (or at least sounded like it).

Right now all I take is a multi-vitamin. If I wanted to start some basic supplementation, where would be the best place to start? Here is what I was thinking after looking around that abomination of a store.

Protein Powder- What is the best kind for quality to affordability ratio? Should I look for the whey proteins that have extra amino acids in them? They had one powder at GNC that was fortified with more of the BCAA's. Is it better to go this route, or just buy the cheaper stuff and take BCAA's.

BCAA's- See above. Any brands that stick out. I saw the ON brand, it didn't look to bad for the price.

Creatine- They had all sorts of creatine there. They had it in pill form, which they recommended. I hadn't seen that before, but I haven't bought supplements in like 10 years. They said to stay away from Creatine Monohydrate... but I thought that was normal Creatine. I am a little confused on this one. Again, any thoughts of brands that are quality/affordabe?

Jack3d- Right now I just drink a red bull or something like that before I go work out. Is this stuff worth it, or should I just stick with sugar free energy drinks or coffee? They recommended this, and I saw some people on this forum liked it a lot.

Good multi-vitamin- I just take one of those pack-a-day pills that you find at a local grocery store. They didn't seem bad for the price, since you take around 6 pills with it. The guys at GNC said that my vitamins were probably cheap and had dyes and other fillers in them. I don't doubt this, but what they said next threw me for a loop. He said a lot of vitamins have yellow 5 in them. This is true, but he said basically my vitamins had Mountain Dew in them... that is HELLA not true. It may share the same dye, but that doesn't mean that the vitamins have Mountain Dew in them. Any thoughts on quality multis to take?

I am looking to slowly shed weight and continue to gain strength. I figured using some basic supplements might help in this effort. Is there anything I missed.

Thanks in advance.

Rub NOXplode on your Bic3ptsss. It works I swear.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    Ok, I have a serious supplement question, since I went into a GNC for the first time in many years. It is like information overload, and a lot of the stuff they were saying was BS (or at least sounded like it).
    Simple advice, don't go to GNC for advice, ever.

Buy a cheap protein powder (WPC) or (WPI if lactose intolerant) from an online bulk supplier and creatine monohydrate from the same place (GNC advice was pure BS).

Skip the jack3d, and stick with basic multi-vitamines.

well jack3d didn't do anything for me that a 12oz red bull hasn't been doing for me in the past.

starting strength coach development program
    Callador, the one thing I buy at GNC is Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey (I believe it's the one you mentioned, with BCAAs). It's a good brand.

Do buy Creatine Monohydrate, a multivitamin, and BCAAs. Not at GNC. I bought the first two at Vitamine Shoppe, since they had decent brands. I have not bought BCAAs yet.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast