starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Shoes

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by musclemilk View Post
    I started another thread on this but I'll ask my question here --

I'm a tall guy (6' 1", 190), long femurs/legs and a short torso and a slight kyphosis. I currently lift in my chuck taylors but I was wondering if getting a heel (preferrably Rips .5" boot) is good / bad in terms of my makeup?

For example, my deadlift setup has my back almost horizontal (like that guy Dwayne in SS BBT) and I was wondering if lifting with a heel, which pushes my shins a bit more forward would be better or worse in terms of being able to set my back in extension? I'm having trouble picturing it in my head :/

Thanks guys
    Dude, I am with you on this, and felt exactly the same way.. and was deadlifting in Vibrams because of it. My femurs are super long and by back is so short Rip actually asked if I had ever had my vertebra counted because I might be missing a few. Speaking of :-/

After calling my deadlift 'ugly', I ended up with a few corrections - super narrow stance, toes out, grip slightly (1 or 2 fingers) wider than the typical setup, wearing my Do-Wins. Got a pass on form from Rip, although he did say I would probably never DL 400 lbs what with my weird little spine and all...

Anyway- the point here is that the shoes didn't screw up my deadlift and the ability to evenly transmit force against the floor in a stable WL shoe outweighs the form corrections required by anthropometry and any difference 0.5-1" heel would make.

thanks sara!

Rip tells everyone doing the SS seminar to buying weight-lifting shoes. There's plenty of good reasons which you can search for on the site.

My personal experience is that they helped tremendously on the Squat, a good bit on Press, I like to deadlift in them and believe it or not they help with the bench: the heel allows me to bring my legs back farther for a better supported arch. As for the cleans, if you have to go low to catch it, you need weight-lifting shoes unless you are super flexible: it's a front squat and I myself can't really get upright enough without the heel. And overhead squats? Forget it. I tried learning those without shoes and immediately went out and bought them.

This whole "chucks are good for weight lifting" thing is crap. Maybe suited 1/2 squats. Everyone at my gym starts with chucks (or vibrams or something flat) and when they transition to weight-lifting shoes, it's always "this so much better." Especially if you have any flexibility issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Is View Post
    Rip tells everyone doing the SS seminar to buying weight-lifting shoes. There's plenty of good reasons which you can search for on the site.

My personal experience is that they helped tremendously on the Squat, a good bit on Press, I like to deadlift in them and believe it or not they help with the bench: the heel allows me to bring my legs back farther for a better supported arch. As for the cleans, if you have to go low to catch it, you need weight-lifting shoes unless you are super flexible: it's a front squat and I myself can't really get upright enough without the heel. And overhead squats? Forget it. I tried learning those without shoes and immediately went out and bought them.

This whole "chucks are good for weight lifting" thing is crap. Maybe suited 1/2 squats. Everyone at my gym starts with chucks (or vibrams or something flat) and when they transition to weight-lifting shoes, it's always "this so much better." Especially if you have any flexibility issues.
    thank you, very insightful

Question about shoes and heel height: I am eyeing the Rip shoes on Rogue Fitness' website, but they are out of stock in my size (12). The 2011 Rogues are in stock, but have a .75 inch height, as opposed to the Rips .5 inch height.

I'm a novice at this stuff, and wonder if it will make a great deal of difference. I am long of torso, short of leg, and am currently squatting 335 in my Chucks.

Thanks for your advice.
    Last edited by Karl Schudt; 05-22-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by m1nt View Post
    thanks, that is good to know. one more question... which wei-rui did you get? you got it from here right? http://www.maxbarbell.com/collection...92d7e6975d2358
    is there a big difference in the quality? because there is a pretty good price difference
    I got the Badass becasue the Maestro was out of stock in my size. They seem to be built very well considering they are a budget shoe. I can't speak to the lower end models though.

I have the Samsons, which are the cheapest ones still in stock. No complaints.

starting strength coach development program
    These Wei-rui shoes don't have wooden heels: wood is the ideal because wood won't compress. That said, I'm sure they are very hard rubber and probably don't compress either. I'm guessing that between the rubber and Communism that is why they are so cheap.

Most shit is made in China these days anyway, but I bought Ristos which are expensive (a lot cheaper than Nikes tho, WTF is up with that?).
    I think they are exploiting Costa Ricans for these, not the Chinese. They say they are hand made. For $140, they better be. My friends who have them like them, as do I.

Byzkari: not sure about the Rip shoes. It's a 1/4" difference and I'm not sure why he wanted it like that. I don't know anyone who has them, but I don't see the point except maybe for DL the slightly lesser heel would be desirable. Less desirable for front squats or Overhead squats though.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234