starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: bench press technique

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Lats? I most certainly don't contract my lats to pull my scapula back. Actually, I don't think the lats are involved in scapular retraction at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    If you don't have a spotter it is probably a good idea. If you can get a spotter (any person in the gym), then save the power racks for other stuff and just use the normal benches.
    So for Starting Strength, I can get a spotter to help me rack the weight at the end of my sets?

Quote Originally Posted by hamworld05 View Post
    So for Starting Strength, I can get a spotter to help me rack the weight at the end of my sets?
    Yes. As long as said spotter doesn't lift the bar for you during your sets, you should have a spotter.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    Yes. As long as said spotter doesn't lift the bar for you during your sets, you should have a spotter.
    Alright, thanks man.

Lats? I most certainly don't contract my lats to pull my scapula back. Actually, I don't think the lats are involved in scapular retraction at all.
    I didnt say they were dumbass. I said BUNCHING THE LATS UP is the way a lot of people set up for the bench press, which would make the position hes describing in the video impossible. I guess youre one of those guys that sweeps the board for spelling errors and punctuation mishaps hoping to get to post a mistake you found. Why dont you try listening to the message instead of being a deuschbag, it will help you out in life.

Quote Originally Posted by HONEYBADGER View Post
    I didnt say they were dumbass. I said BUNCHING THE LATS UP is the way a lot of people set up for the bench press, which would make the position hes describing in the video impossible. I guess youre one of those guys that sweeps the board for spelling errors and punctuation mishaps hoping to get to post a mistake you found. Why dont you try listening to the message instead of being a deuschbag, it will help you out in life.
    Why don't go you choke on a dick?

honeyB why do you think that retracting the shoulders is bad? i have an RC tear and when i tried CT's method, shoulder does not hurt but it feels a bit iffy. though i feel nothing when benching "equipped" style.

Why don't go you choke on a dick?
    good one. really mature and original. why dont you try to get stong/built/useful/athletic/another first name/heterosexual/ etc.?

go play in a highway peon. stop derailing this guys thread with your idiotic posts.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsky View Post
    honeyB why do you think that retracting the shoulders is bad? i have an RC tear and when i tried CT's method, shoulder does not hurt but it feels a bit iffy. though i feel nothing when benching "equipped" style.
    Its just much easier on the ac joint imo, he has written a whole article on it at tnation if you want to get into detail on his reasoning and mechanical advandages/disadvantages. From what I have seen with my athletes and others I have coached through the years is most people will be fine benching almost anyway they want until they actually get strong enough to hurt themselves. Once the weights get into the bigger numbers, the technique flaws will reveal themselves. I am not saying that everyone will hurt themselves who benches with a traditional approach, I am just suggesting that this method is superior imo for raw benching and is worth trying if anyone has experienced some shoulder issues from benching.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeC1 View Post
    I disagree, I prefer benching in a rack to using a spotter. Your chances of finding a competent spotter are close to 0. Since you're actually doing useful training, you're allowed to hog the power rack. (But if the gym is busy and someone wants to work in, then definitely don't be an ass)
    Do you mean relying on slamming the weight back onto the 4" pins if you get into trouble? I dont see how benching inside a power rack alone can be a safe thing. Maybe I misunderstand what you meant

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast