starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: bench press technique

Default bench press technique

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    For the bench press, should I retract my shoulder blades as far as I can, or just enough to create a natural arch in the lower back?

i retract as far as i can

Quote Originally Posted by kunnar View Post
    i retract as far as i can
    Oh.

Me too. The arch isn't the only reason you keep your shoulderblades back, you do it to keep your body stable and to press from the chest not use your shoulders too much

Quote Originally Posted by Kregna View Post
    Me too. The arch isn't the only reason you keep your shoulderblades back, you do it to keep your body stable and to press from the chest not use your shoulders too much
    I see. Is benching in a power rack preferred over benching on a bench?

Quote Originally Posted by hamworld05 View Post
    I see. Is benching in a power rack preferred over benching on a bench?
    If you don't have a spotter it is probably a good idea. If you can get a spotter (any person in the gym), then save the power racks for other stuff and just use the normal benches.

I disagree, I prefer benching in a rack to using a spotter. Your chances of finding a competent spotter are close to 0. Since you're actually doing useful training, you're allowed to hog the power rack. (But if the gym is busy and someone wants to work in, then definitely don't be an ass)

I disagree with pinning the shoulder blades back together as hard as possible for raw benching, I definitely side with CT and his "shrug the shoulders" cue and feel it has helped save the shoulders immensely. IMO this is by far the best way to set up for raw benching, shirted bench changes things at the bottom of the lift and the shoulders are not nearly as comprimised, so a bigger arch and retracted the shoulder blades is beneficial there as it both reduces the rom and tightens the sweet spot in the shirt, but when benching raw, this method is much much more shoulder friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by HONEYBADGER View Post
    I disagree with pinning the shoulder blades back together as hard as possible for raw benching, I definitely side with CT and his "shrug the shoulders" cue and feel it has helped save the shoulders immensely. IMO this is by far the best way to set up for raw benching, shirted bench changes things at the bottom of the lift and the shoulders are not nearly as comprimised, so a bigger arch and retracted the shoulder blades is beneficial there as it both reduces the rom and tightens the sweet spot in the shirt, but when benching raw, this method is much much more shoulder friendly.

Unless you train yourself not to, most people squeezing the shoulder blades back will also shrug up a bit, due to the line of pull of the rhomboids.
    Last edited by blowdpanis; 07-23-2011 at 04:42 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by blowdpanis View Post
    Unless you train yourself not to, most people squeezing the shoulder blades back will also shrug up a bit, due to the line of pull of the rhomboids.
    No they wont, they will actually pull the lats together and DOWN, lengthening the traps. Bunching the lats up is harder on the shoulder joint than being a little more flat backed and shrugging. There is a big difference between focusing on squeezing the lats together and focusing on simply shrugging the shoulders as high as possible and driving the body weight back to a flatter upper torso area.

also, if you squeeze your lats together maximally, then try to shrug, your chest drops significantly as the scapula move up. Most people will set up with lats pulled back and down to raise the chest as high as possible. I am saying this is not the best way for a raw lifter to set up, and it can cause a lot of shoulder problems along with it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast