starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check these lifts

Default Check these lifts

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi, first post on the forum. I did about 8 months of a "similar" program previously, before giving up training for work commitments, but now that I'm older and wiser, and have the time, I'm using the wisdom of Mr Rip...

Just wondered if these lifts were "in proportion" - I'm 4 weeks in, and am now adding 2.5kgs at a time on all lifts, except deadlifts, where 10kgs is still working well.

Squat - 110kgs (3x5)
    Bench - 62.5kgs (3x5)
    Press - 52.5kgs (3x5)
    Power Clean - 65kgs (3x5)
    Deadlift - 125 kgs (1x5)

Both presses feel weak, as though I'm making them by the skin of my teeth every session, but no stalling yet.

Thanks

Seems ok. How much do you weigh? I think there is much linear progression left.

I weight about 100kgs. I'd like to think I could keep making regular progress until I get the squats to at least 150.

I had a feeling that my bench press/shoulder press figures could be a little low in comparison with the other lifts though. Maybe that's nothing to worry about though.

You may be better changing PC to 5x3.

Your presses are pretty strong compared to your bench. I have also pressed 52,5kg for 3x5, but I can bench 82,5kg for 3x5. Perhaps a form check on the bench press?

Quote Originally Posted by solomson View Post
    Your presses are pretty strong compared to your bench.
    Agreed with this.

But at your weight, all of your lifts have a lot of room to get much stronger. 2.5kg is too large of a jump for your bench and press, especially when you start to feel that you are only barely completing them. Try to find 0.5kg weights so you can make 1kg jumps instead.

Thanks guys. I think I'll keep going until I stall (which I don't think will be far off) then make 1kg jumps with these.

Will also do some more reading up on benching form. I've got SS, and have read it a hundred times, but must be missing a pointer here or there.

I know I'm squeezing my shoulders, arching my back, squeezing the bar, getting a nice straight bar path - I'm pretty confident about my upper body, but I feel as though I can't get my legs "connected" - and by that I mean, whether I try to drive into the floor, or let them hang off the bench I can't feel any difference when I'm lifting.

Off to look for bench form check vids.....

If you have relatively long forearms, you will be proportionately better at the deadlift than either press movement, so don't worry if you don't get to the standard 5/4/3/2 ratio that people try to hold as gospel.
    Last edited by RRod; 08-21-2011 at 01:01 PM.

How does that ratio work? I won't be upset if I'm not bang on, just curious...

Deadlift/Squat/Bench/Press?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Scotch View Post
    How does that ratio work? I won't be upset if I'm not bang on, just curious...

Deadlift/Squat/Bench/Press?
    5.0/4.4/2.5/2.1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast