starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crotchety old fart issue or focus problem needing medication?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeJAG View Post
    Thanks guys, sometimes it helps to talk it out! So unless there are some good resources on mental focus training as it applies to strength training to share or wisdom from Rip on the subject it's time to do as he says and just lift the f---ing weights!
    Bill
    Hi Bill,

I wish I could give you some techniques, a la Mark Hurling's "soft eyes", but I don't use any. I lift at home so don't have gym distractions, but I do play golf at a course that runs next to a busy road. When you're lining up a shot and an obnoxiously loud motorcycle roars by, it can be distracting. I just try to turn within myself and gain focus from me. When I'm in that zone, all the ambient noise, though still there, just seems to fade into the background.

I know that sounds all new-agey pukey, but I can't think of another way to describe the process. Bascially I just turn inwards and ignore the rest. It's prolly a skill that can be practiced like anything else.

~ bif ~

Quote Originally Posted by Bif View Post
    I know that sounds all new-agey pukey, but I can't think of another way to describe the process. Bascially I just turn inwards and ignore the rest. It's prolly a skill that can be practiced like anything else.

~ bif ~
    You should see some of the shit that I've gotten from all and sundry when I start talking about energy flows and meridians in Rip's Q&A. They mock me mercilessly. sniff

I actually would be hard pressed to notice a bear attack occurring right next to me when in the middle of a hard set. Perhaps I have the opposite extreme and need medication for that.
    Last edited by Gunnhild Bruno; 09-02-2011 at 10:42 PM. Reason: damn it, too much bourbon?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    You should see some of the shit that I've gotten from all and sundry when I start talking about energy flows and meridians in Rip's Q&A. They mock me mercilessly. sniff
    sorry, bro

I find that it helps to have little rituals to do with your lifting. For example, for deadlifts I crouch down to the bar, take three deep breaths breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth, put my chest up, another breath in, hold it and pull, stand up, consciously put shoulders down and back, then down, bar hits the floor and I let my breath out, three deep breaths again, etc.

You become so caught up in following the exact procedure that outside stuff tends to fade away. And I have a lot of outside stuff, I work out at the gym I train people at, and the useless fucking preacher curl bench is right next to the squat rack, all the moron bros keep swiping the squat rack weight plates for it, and in the mirror I can see people doing exercises wrong, and even when I ignore all that, people will ask me questions while I work out - yes, even during a set.

If you are completely unable to focus, I would suggest that there are probably some other things in your life distracting you. You cannot escape your other issues in the weight room. You will take all your personal issues with you into the squat rack, it gets crowded in there sometimes.
    Last edited by Kyle Schuant; 09-02-2011 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BikeJAG View Post
    ... I guess I could pull music from a cloud server to integrate my droid x2 with a bluetooth duel wraparound headset to crank Disturbed or Slipknot..
    I played all of The Sickness for volume squats last Thursday.

I use an iPod and drop it in my pocket. It doesn't interfere with squats at all. I realize, too, that I do a bit of the soft focus Mark mentioned when it's time for work sets. I guess it goes back to my football days. I was always able to tune out external noise during go time.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    sorry, bro
    That's OK Carlos, just hold me, please?

Sure thing, bro.

No homo.

There, there...

starting strength coach development program
    Bill,
    As others have said, this is not their problem but yours. It may also surface a problem with anger, something you should look deeply into your self about. We live in a time when the generation gaps are much, much wider then ever before. Most of us "elderly" grew up in times when society was more polite and civil, when we were taught by both our parents and schools that corny old golden rule among other gems. Today's generations live by their own rules which don't include anyone else, including their peers. To them, we are invisible. However, that is not a bad thing. We must make them invisible to us!

What worked for me was meditation. I practice a form of breath mediation called vipassana. If you'd like to go further I'd recommend this as a good starting point. It's an easy and quick read but like all things in life, it is not a magic pill.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast