starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taller athletes

Default Taller athletes

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I puchased the book (which is AWSOME) and I may have missed what to do with taller athletes on the dead lift. Can anyone help?

Can you elaborate on your question? Some stats and more details will help us help you.

Sorry I have an MMA fighter who is about 6ft tall and the angles of the lift seem way off. long legs and arms look like it is giving him difficulty getting into a good position. Seems that his tallnes is cause for acute angles when in a position to lift. I was thinking of placing the bar and weights on a platform to elevate so that he can get better angles. Hope that helps.

A video would really help.

That being said, it's generally atypical practice to put the bar, or the lifter, on a platform unless your doing some kind of a advanced programing thing. Regardless of height and limb ratios, there's a "correct" position for everyone. The key thing is that the bar be over the middle of the foot and that the back be in extension and locked - everything else can adjust around those parameters. But, again, if you can get a video up, we can help more.

Quote Originally Posted by krystufer View Post
    Sorry I have an MMA fighter who is about 6ft tall and the angles of the lift seem way off. long legs and arms look like it is giving him difficulty getting into a good position. Seems that his tallnes is cause for acute angles when in a position to lift. I was thinking of placing the bar and weights on a platform to elevate so that he can get better angles. Hope that helps.
    There's a 99.99% chance this is a coaching problem, not a trainee problem.

I'm 6'3, and the standard rules for a deadlift that apply to someone who's 5'6 apply to me. The angles that the various parts of my body will take to apply those standards, however, will change. Because, ya know, I have longer (and perhaps even shorter in relation to other parts of my body) limbs than them.

Also, Agreed with mstr.

@ mstr and trei, agreed i will perfect. Thanks for your feedback...back to the drawing board
    Last edited by krystufer; 10-20-2011 at 04:46 PM.

@ jilling Thank you this was a little more insightful. I appreciate your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by krystufer View Post
    I puchased the book (which is AWSOME) and I may have missed what to do with taller athletes on the dead lift. Can anyone help?
    Fig 4-24 on p126 in the 2nd edition, and surrounding text. This post is also quite helpful.

starting strength coach development program
    If the trainee is really disproportionate enough that his back is nearly horizontal when in the correct starting position of the deadlift, one could consider doing sumo deadlifts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast