starting strength gym

Thread: Coaching in Phoenix/Chandler Arizona

Default Coaching in Phoenix/Chandler Arizona

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    How do I go about finding good coaches in the Phoenix/Chandler area that are as close as possible to the SS recommended technique?

I am starting to get mild knee pain from my squats and I feel my form and inflexibility is to blame. I think my bench and deadlift also stink.

Any suggestions?

Did you check the coaches directory?

http://startingstrength.com/index.php/dir/directory

If nothing comes up, consider attending a seminar.

you can also post some videos here. It will not take the place of real life coaching, but you might get something helpful from it.
    ETA-you might also just get 7 pages of people calling each other faggots, just FYI.

If you want an SS coach then it's either form check, seminar, or find a powerlifting gym.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    you can also post some videos here. It will not take the place of real life coaching, but you might get something helpful from it.
    ETA-you might also just get 7 pages of people calling each other faggots, just FYI.
    Isn't that half the fun?

You don't need a coach, just take one of the weekend SS seminars and it should be good for basically anyone who isn't a competitive lifter. Coaches are for people who need to be actively coached week to week because they are aspiring towards some form of competition.

I wouldn't bother with posting videos here, most people have been lifting less than a year and are wildly unqualified to offer advice of any kind, you'll get a lot of smartass remarks and contradictory advice, a lot "read the book", and possibly be told you have aids.

Quote Originally Posted by michael dowling View Post
    You don't need a coach, just take one of the weekend SS seminars and it should be good for basically anyone who isn't a competitive lifter. Coaches are for people who need to be actively coached week to week because they are aspiring towards some form of competition.
    Or if you just want a coach because weightlifting is hard. Like Dan John.

TomC thanks for the info, didn't know that directory existed. I found one local gym, but I'm wondering what criteria is used for listing them there? certification?

melody, I will post some videos at some point. Once I muster some courage to show my lame ass low weights. For the same reason I wouldn't join a powerlifting gym cuz these people would be making fun of me right and left.

For others who say I don't need a coach, I mainly need one because I seem to forget lots of points and I can't focus on them all at once. A coach would give me corrections on the spot. I don't know how much more useful a seminar would be more than the book since the book is very detailed. It will also some involve travel. I feel my problem is lack of adherence rather than lack of knowledge of correct form. I also have flexibility issues that prevent me from using correct form but I don't want to go on 2 months of flexibility training as some authors suggest. A good coach will tell me what I can get away with until flexibility improves, and what needs to be done differently.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by meshka7 View Post
    TomC thanks for the info, didn't know that directory existed. I found one local gym, but I'm wondering what criteria is used for listing them there? certification?
    The people in the directory passed the exam and are Starting Strength certified coaches.