starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why my squats are stalling so sooooooon??

Default Why my squats are stalling so sooooooon??

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Height: 181cm [5'11.3"]
    Weight: 90kg [200lbs] (may be heavier by now)
    Been lifting since: 20th August 2011
    Starting stats:
    Weight: 73kg - 160lbs
    Squat: 30kg
    Bench Press: 25kg
    Pendlay Row: 35kg
    Overhead Press: 25kg
    Deadlift: 50kg
    Current stats:
    Squat: 90kgx5
    Deadlift: 105kgx5
    Bench: 75kgx5
    Press: 47.5kgx5
    Row: 50kgx5

log here

Lifting only twice per week. and gained lots of weight (and I'm considered a fit person wearing a shirt, I mean i have lots of fat, but the muscles i have gained give them a good shape and nobody notice i am fatty, this is the right amount of fat gain accepted, right?)

So as you see my problem is not recovery, I am being recovered very good. My problem is not being a weak minded faggot either because I am grinding every rep and fighting the fight.

My problem is that i think stalling at this range of load, at this bodyweight is a little suspicious (i have stalled 2 times before as well).

I think my problem is I am doing leg press squats!! I didn't get the idea of "hip drive" eventually.

Please teach me hip drive

I searched and found this video and watched it.
    I have been doing a similar thing in the past (I was thrusting my heels to the floor at the bottom to come out of the hole). that was causing my butt to go backward and the bar to go forward. and it was giving me tailbone pains. So I was not doing it perfectly.
    what part was wrong or missing?

You're probably stalling, because you're not eating enough animal protein, which is understandable since it's so expensive relative to your income.

Man I can leg press 800 lbs and only squat 350, please teach me these leg press squats!!!!

Get the SS DVD. Rip does a good job teaching hip drive. If you don't want to spend money, check some of the crossfit website archives, there are some good videos back from when he was into crossfit teaching hip drive.

Are you doing high-bar or low-bar squats?

Quote Originally Posted by snyderman3000 View Post
    You're probably stalling, because you're not eating enough animal protein, which is understandable since it's so expensive relative to your income.
    You pointed a seemingly reasonable flaw. but you didn't provide any solution if increasing the protein intake not be an option.
    but i still believe i will be able to progress much further if i learn the hip drive properly. currently i can do hip drive squats and it makes it very easy and not grinding at this weight, but the problem is i can't do hip drive squats perfect, and so it hurts my tailbone, the bar shifts forward when i want to come out of the hole and my torso begins to get horizontal.

Quote Originally Posted by michael dowling View Post
    Man I can leg press 800 lbs and only squat 350, please teach me these leg press squats!!!!
    squat down
    leg press up. push your feet to the ground. you will lift much less.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Loucas View Post
    Get the SS DVD. Rip does a good job teaching hip drive. If you don't want to spend money, check some of the crossfit website archives, there are some good videos back from when he was into crossfit teaching hip drive.
    I have watched videos by rip, but i don't understand much about what he's saying without subtitles.

Quote Originally Posted by FKYT View Post
    Are you doing high-bar or low-bar squats?
    Low-Bar and this is a recent form check video:
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...567#post354567

Quote Originally Posted by squat_gnome View Post
    but i still believe i will be able to progress much further if i learn the hip drive properly. currently i can do hip drive squats and it makes it very easy and not grinding at this weight, but the problem is i can't do hip drive squats perfect, and so it hurts my tailbone, the bar shifts forward when i want to come out of the hole and my torso begins to get horizontal.
    I'm working on a similar problem right now too. If I lean forwards too much and focus on my hip drive then I end up getting caught forwards and it turns into a good morning.

I've dropped the weight a bit and I've really started to focus on having a tight upper back and keeping my chest up. When I get down to the bottom I drive up with my hips but I focus on keeping my chest up and having my shoulders go up at the same speed as my hips.
    I was starting to think it was a weakness in my hip flexors or something but I think it's mostly a form issue and cueing yourself to stay strong at the bottom.

I also took another look at my bottom position and I figured out I was going too far below parallel, so far that I think I was letting my hams and glutes relax a bit, making it super hard to get out of the hole.
    Last edited by Corrie; 12-08-2011 at 11:56 AM.

Your deadlifts and squats seem to be in the correct ratio. This suggests to me you have no technique problems. More likely to be programming/recovery or something.

Protein shouldnt matter too much right now. Plenty of people who eat like birds get to 2xBW (I actually know someone like this you can do 3xBW).

starting strength coach development program
    Looking at your squat video again, it looks like you are making a very narrow 'U' shape with the bar. You come down, shift forward a few centimeters, and then come up.

Maybe... think of a string being attached to the place where the top of pants cover your spine, and it is pulling you up. Keep your chest up, but drive up from that spot on your back/pelvis.

Do you feel the 'bounce' in your hamstrings when you hit the bottom? Sully wrote about it here: http://startingstrength.com/resource...673#post363673

I can't tell if you're going too slow or not, but if you do it too slowly, you won't get the bounce.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast