starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Early Morning

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I have been lifting at 5:00am for years because it is the only time I can consistently train. The first couple of weeks killed me but I adapted. Recently I tried to lift in the afternoon and it just flat out sucked. So I guess it is what you get use to.

In the past 7-8 months I've switched from working out at 6:00 AM, to 7:30 PM. I feel I generally am stronger at 7:30 PM, but it is much harder to commit to the time slot since lots of things can come up between the morning and the afternoon. Being done my workout by 7:00 AM was great in that consistency was pretty close to 100%. With 7:30PM, I'm still fairly consistent, but there's definitely a lot more things that pull me away from training.

I do things six days a week, and three of those days have two different sessions:

Monday - Power Technique (7 AM) // Squats (7 PM)
    Tuesday - Press and Chins (7 PM)
    Wednesday - Cleans and Deadlifts (7 AM) // Squats (7 PM)
    Thursday - Press and Chins (7 PM)
    Friday - Snatches (7 AM) // Squats (7 PM)
    Saturday - Press and Chins (Afternoon, varies)

I mostly do this so I can get to work on time (keep it under an hour in the morning) and right after my kid goes to bed at 7 PM. I used to do everything in the morning and before that in the afternoon (found that things could interfere with it here).

Sometimes horking down milk and whey and then throwing my body around results in some interesting moments in the morning, but overall the energy level is fine. I do the other stuff right after dinner so I'm ready to rock.

Good to see people training at around 6am

I'm left with the choice of either really busy gyms or getting up at like 5am lol. I thought the 5am thing was ridiculous but clearly not!

I've had some of my best workouts at 5am. Up at 3:45-4, down a few cups of coffee (scoop the cat box in between cups--the bending helps warm me up), and then some whey and milk. Then I am out the door at 4:45 and in the gym right at opening so I have my choice of equipment.

I attribute the great work outs to the focus on getting the sets done; I have to do my sets like clockwork to get out and to work on time. In the evening, I don't always have that focus on getting the sets done.

Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    I've had some of my best workouts at 5am. Up at 3:45-4, down a few cups of coffee (scoop the cat box in between cups--the bending helps warm me up), and then some whey and milk. Then I am out the door at 4:45 and in the gym right at opening so I have my choice of equipment.

I attribute the great work outs to the focus on getting the sets done; I have to do my sets like clockwork to get out and to work on time. In the evening, I don't always have that focus on getting the sets done.
    I feel the same way. Because I workout before work, I know I need to focus to get my sets done. Also, when I make PR's, it keeps me in a great mood pretty much all day long.

starting strength coach development program
    I would prefer to work out in the evenings, but, sadly, I sleep horribly if I do so. Thus, I'm forced to work out early in my garage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12