starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat alternative?

Question Squat alternative?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I've been doing the "The Original Starting Strength Novice Program" that includes squats 3 times per week. Well, I recently injured what I think may be my tendon in my upper left leg. I am wondering if I should replace this workout with deadlifts for the next 2-3 weeks? I really need to work on that anyway.

And, if anyone is interested, I injured my leg attempting to do squats the "right way" as a self-proclaimed fitness expert keeps telling me at my gym. I know he's wrong, but I did it just to get him to shut up. His "right way" means keeping your back almost vertical, which is complete bs as far as you all know.

i don't see how an "alternative" exercise to squat (if there even is one) would not irritate your injury, as to qualify as an alternative to the squat, the exercise would have to target the same muscles in the most similar way......so.... you get what i'm saying? Did you tear this tendon? how major is it? if it's not major enough to require a doctor visit or worse surgery, then just don't squat for a few days and see how it feels. If it feels better, squat. I also can't imagine there not being information on rehabbing injuries in the book.

Maybe "alternative" was a bad choice of words. What I meant to say, was that I was looking for something else I can do in place of squats for a week or two. I only get pain about halfway through my sets and it only lasts an hour or so after I leave the gym. It seems to be coming from the top of my leg, a little towards my groin on the front of my leg. It's not that painful, and doesn't really even make me walk differently. I'm just concerned about it, and I don't want to aggravate it. One person told me that sounded like a tendon issue since it only hurts under stress.

Get video and post it here or get coaching.

Do you sit all day at work?

Default yes i sit

I'm a programmer, so yes I sit all day.

How long have you been doing the program for?

I had tendonitis in one of my hip flexors from bad form with my heavy sets (knees sliding forwards do to losing hamstring tension). It would only start halfway through my sets but become quite bad by the end of a workout and then gradually reduce throughout the day.

This phenomenon is mentioned in the book somewhere. I fixed mine by deloading and diligently working on my form. Haven't had a problem with it since.

What you are describing could well be the same problem.

I've been doing the program for about 4-5 months. I'm no doctor, but the location of the hip flexor seems to match the spot that hurts. I only feel it after a few sets of squats. The pain is probably a 3/10, but enough to know I need to lay off it until it's healed. I found this too: http://www.sports-injury-info.com/hi...or-injury.html

I'm sure it happened by doing the squat wrong. This guy at the gym keeps hammering me about keeping my back vertical, although I keep telling him to go to this site or even youtube "rippetoe squat." I finally gave in and did a few sets to shut him up, and in the process hurt my hip flexor. Like the book states, "Letting the knees travel forward at the bottom of the squat is both inefficient for posterior chain involvement and detrimental to the health of the hip flexor tendons."
    Last edited by jstevanus; 02-16-2012 at 05:30 PM. Reason: addition

Sounds like you may have found your problem. I would stop doing any movements which aggravate the tendon immediately.

I just read a post where someone said they managed hip flexor problems by box squatting as this forces one to use the posterior chain.

http://startingstrength.com/resource...t=24964&page=1

I'm no expert on this but I had a lot of pain in this area at one stage. I managed to fix it by laying off for a couple of weeks and then coming back really light to 'test' if the pain had subsided. As I mentioned before though, my problems were a form issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Chode View Post
    Sounds like you may have found your problem. I would stop doing any movements which aggravate the tendon immediately.

I just read a post where someone said they managed hip flexor problems by box squatting as this forces one to use the posterior chain.

http://startingstrength.com/resource...t=24964&page=1

I'm no expert on this but I had a lot of pain in this area at one stage. I managed to fix it by laying off for a couple of weeks and then coming back really light to 'test' if the pain had subsided. As I mentioned before though, my problems were a form issue.
    Thanks for the help! I also found a thread with a link to a video that shows some stretching techniques that I'll try:

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=28709

starting strength coach development program
    Sir,

You are injured. As with any injury, instead of seeking advice on a message board regarding how to "work around" the injury, as with any injury you should see a doctor to determine the extent of the injury and the appropriate treatment. If that means laying off the squat or other exercises that involve the injured area to permit it to heal properly, then you lay off and do what you can, e.g. bench presses, assistance exercises that don't require stabalization by the legs, lying and seated work. If you keep aggravating the injury by attempting to work through it or to "work around" it, you may create a chronic situation that will limit your progress in the future. Better to temporarily limit your progress or even slide backwards while allowing the injury to heal properly then come back with a fully functional thigh/hip area and build back up without any limitations than to suffer an ongoing chronic problem that restricts your ability to reach your full potential.

Good luck and get well soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast