starting strength gym
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Experiment with Junior High Kids I'm going to start next week...

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    I saw Matt press at least 140kg for 10 today at lunch. Some of you may not think he's right, and some of you may think he's right, but you probably don't know how right he is. I'll be damned if I don't gain another 50lbs of body weight and press 200 for reps by the end of the year. My perspective is completely fucking changed.
    Sounds like awesomeness!

I dont know where he got the 308 for 10... Matt is a stronger presser but would need to hit 308 for 1 before he hits it for 10...

And the next meet we are doing is the SPF meet in Branson, MO June 23rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Gold View Post
    I dont know where he got the 308 for 10... Matt is a stronger presser but would need to hit 308 for 1 before he hits it for 10...

And the next meet we are doing is the SPF meet in Branson, MO June 23rd.
    I thought I saw three plates, but maybe I'm just an idiot lol. Maybe they were 10kg or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    I thought I saw three plates, but maybe I'm just an idiot lol. Maybe they were 10kg or something.
    What you saw was 130kg. The problem is I am Matt Wanat. Not Matt Reynolds. I hope that clears things up.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoye View Post
    I think there's always a clash between people from the Northeast coast, and midwest/southern raised people.

Northeast just always seems like douches IMO. Always seem in a goddamn hurry and unfriendly.
    This may say more about me (born and raised in Northeast, now living in SW Florida) than anything else, but where I live I meet mostly southern and midwest people. While Southerners and midwesterners are not hostile, I do not find them very warm, open and friendly. They are suspicious and cold. By contrast Northeasters that I meet are friendly. This does not contradict what you are saying, since they may also be douchebags. But I have not been bowled over by the super-duper warm and generous spirit of midwesterners I have met.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone View Post
    Anyway, back to the point of this thread.

My kids are in.

Ari, age 5, just pressed:
    1 x 11 kg (24.2 lbs)
    10 x 7 kg (15.4 lbs)

That set of 10 was supposed to be a set of 5, but he just kept going.

Hannah, age 7:
    1 x 15 kg (33 lbs)
    10 x 11 kg (22 lbs)

She had to do a set of 10 because her brother did.

Ari is not messing around. I told him this is a contest to beat the grown ups. He missed his attempt at 11 kg, and then immediately tried again and made it. You guys have some competition.

Awesome cute video.

My six year old wants to start lifting in "Daddy's gym." I figured I would have him do back squats, presses and bicep curls. Any tips on programming for such young children? I was hoping twice a week, two sets of five or six of each lift. I would like for him to see and recognize himself getting stronger, so as not to be discouraged. It is discouraging to not see results from training (I wasted twenty years training sans results, so I know!).

130 x 10 is still awesome. Sorry for any confusion I caused Matt!
    Last edited by Tom Narvaez; 02-28-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    Awesome cute video.

My six year old wants to start lifting in "Daddy's gym." I figured I would have him do back squats, presses and bicep curls. Any tips on programming for such young children? I was hoping twice a week, two sets of five or six of each lift. I would like for him to see and recognize himself getting stronger, so as not to be discouraged. It is discouraging to not see results from training (I wasted twenty years training sans results, so I know!).
    I might be wrong, but I don't see the point to programming a 6 year old. As the owner of one myself, I recommend to just do things that are fun and have some stuff he can pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    I might be wrong, but I don't see the point to programming a 6 year old. As the owner of one myself, I recommend to just do things that are fun and have some stuff he can pick up.
    I agree with this.

My kids love to do chin-ups, deadlifts (barbell and dumbbell), presses, and farmer's walks. Nothing programmed, but I do help them out if they want to try something.

starting strength coach development program
    Has the experiment started?

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast