starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used York Barbell

Default Used York Barbell

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Looking for a little assistance from the gearheads out there: http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/spo/2998768445.html

I've been thinking about upgrading my CAP barbell (the cheap one that comes with a 300-lb. set) and have been keeping my eye out for a good old bar on Craigslist.

Is this worth $100?

In researching this I found this thread: http://startingstrength.com/resource...t=25894&page=1 but the photos were removed and he was getting it for $50.
    In this thread http://startingstrength.com/resource.../t-20293.html? Rip suggests that $100 is the max to offer for one of these.

How are the old Yorks for power cleaning?
    Last edited by RussB; 05-10-2012 at 09:19 AM. Reason: from not form; added another link

As an add on, does anyone squat with no center knurling? How does that work out?

Edit: Found this old thread, some seem to find squatting without center knurling to be a non-issue, while at least one (Marotta) was quite clear that he disliked bars without center knurling. Greg C mentions using athletic tape in the center of the bar. Not a bad idea.

http://startingstrength.com/resource...t=20462&page=1

Lots of opinions on center knurling here too:http://startingstrength.com/resource...t=16516&page=1
    Last edited by RussB; 05-10-2012 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Found thread on squatting without center knurl

Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    As an add on, does anyone squat with no center knurling? How does that work out?
    You're lucky I just ordered my Rogue B&R barbell two days ago... or I might have poached that bar from you

Seriously - I'm a novice, so my advice does not mean much, but if it is straight and the bushings look OK, you've got a good bar. And 100 is not that much to risk - I would probably take the chance after checking it thoroughly.

Did you watch Rip's video on how to test if a barbell is straight?

Quote Originally Posted by DPMuller View Post
    You're lucky I just ordered my Rogue B&R barbell two days ago... or I might have poached that bar from you

Seriously - I'm a novice, so my advice does not mean much, but if it is straight and the bushings look OK, you've got a good bar. And 100 is not that much to risk - I would probably take the chance after checking it thoroughly.

Did you watch Rip's video on how to test if a barbell is straight?
    DP, if I get it I'll trade you the old York for the B&R!! That's a bar I like the looks of. I have seen the "Is your bar straight" video, and I asked the seller in an email if the bar is straight and specifically if it wobbles when they roll it. It's in Andover which is almost an hour away, so I want to find out as much as I can before going there. Waiting to hear back at this point. I'll rewatch Rip's video before going to check it out.

Old yorks are great for cleaning.

There is a old school york bar in a dusty warehouse/dungeon type underground gym in my city. They occasionally have powerlifting or weightlifting comps there, but the gear there is mainly old bodybuilding stuff.

Somehow a york bar which originated from the world powerlifting champs, which was held in my city in the 70's ended up there. A lot of other york plates and bit can be found around the city in private & municipal gyms which Bob hoffman brought here himself.

Anyhow, this bar which is around 35 years old is still perfectly straight and spins like any good quality new bushing type bar. Just like the old style of eleiko's in fact. The knurl is very nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Old yorks are great for cleaning.

There is a old school york bar in a dusty warehouse/dungeon type underground gym in my city. They occasionally have powerlifting or weightlifting comps there, but the gear there is mainly old bodybuilding stuff.

Somehow a york bar which originated from the world powerlifting champs, which was held in my city in the 70's ended up there. A lot of other york plates and bit can be found around the city in private & municipal gyms which Bob hoffman brought here himself.

Anyhow, this bar which is around 35 years old is still perfectly straight and spins like any good quality new bushing type bar. Just like the old style of eleiko's in fact. The knurl is very nice too.
    Good stuff. I'm hoping to hear back from the owner but so far no luck. I'm used to these types of sales moving fast, so unless the seller just doesn't check their email much, they might have already sold it. But I'll bug them again tomorrow. It looks to be in good shape, so I think I could live with the lack of center knurling.

Some of that "patina" on the sleeves especially on the thick part of the sleeves and especially on the right hand one is rust. Not a big deal, but patina is not that splotchy.

Also, is that the black oxide bar ? If so the web suggests that it is 32mm in diameter.
    http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...&m=PD&pid=3975

That's on the thick side. There's a new 32mm (chrome) York at the gym and it feels pretty strange in the hand though i haven't used it enough to get used to it. The knurling is also pretty light /soft. It's just etched in.

looks like a steal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by cannibal.horse View Post
    looks like a steal to me.
    I'm hoping, but only if I can actually get in touch with the owner.

Veryhrm, it did look odd to me for patina, thanks for that piece of info. And I'll try to read up on the old Yorks a bit to make sure I know what I'm looking at. It says York, PA on the collar, so it has that going for it. I wonder if they made thick bars?

starting strength coach development program
    Russ we picked up an old york bar for the gym and it has been great for cleaning. The knurling is a little worn where it rested in the rack which could effect some folks grip for the snatch- might want to look for this but we didn't really think it was a big deal on this bar. I have always done squats with a center knurl but had cheap coated bars. There was a noticeable difference in feel when we started squatting with the B and R bar. We could slide a weighted bar in the rack to center it before but with the B and R we have to lift the bar to center it in the rack because it grips to the rack so well.

Did you end up getting the bar? I think we paid 100 for ours.

Micah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast