starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: holy fuck

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    I usually have this, "if it works for you" kind of attitude. But with this, I am happy to say, this is fucked.

He looks like he is actively hunching his upper & mid back. I can see the point of this in deadlifts, but round back squats? The back can be held in extension very easily once you get it set, its just dumb to do anything else. This guys squat is LOW in comparison to his deadlift, so its not like he getting some weird advantage from it. He would benefit greatly from improving his technique.
    My god you're full of shit.

He did a 180kg triple high bar squat vs a single 305kg Rack Pull .. which would be equivalent to around a 260kg deadlift give or take a few. In that context, his squat isn't really all that "LOW" at all.

There's nothing in that video to suggest his weird grip isn't working for him just fine.

Exclamation Aluminium?

Is it me or does the bar look a lot like Aluminium. . . . it also looks like a light bar when he moves it unloaded. Watch again and see if you see the same thing that I do, maybe in Spain they can't afford to pay for a proper bar :-D

Quote Originally Posted by mrflibble View Post
    My god you're full of shit.

He did a 180kg triple high bar squat vs a single 305kg Rack Pull .. which would be equivalent to around a 260kg deadlift give or take a few. In that context, his squat isn't really all that "LOW" at all.

There's nothing in that video to suggest his weird grip isn't working for him just fine.
    There's something in the results of the recent competition that would say otherwise though.

Simonsky I've googled ipf raw cup results 2012 and looked over a table but can't see any spanish competitors at all? Can you point us to the results you have viewed please?

http://goodlift.info/live/mscoresheet_full.html

I don't know anything about the guy before I found his video, I just googled every single male competitor's squat form because I'm trying to learn what's the common stance of the strong dudes.

Thanks. Jim Wendler once said something like find your own way to squat and perfect it. But that being said I guess there will be common traits with all big number squats.

My (limited)findings so far is that more of them squat medium-wide to wide and only a few close(typical SS stance).

I'm not saying it's better before all you people get berserk. Some also have no video so it is indeed very limited.

The tendency to squat wider results in less distance traveled does it not?

Quote Originally Posted by simonsky View Post
    My (limited)findings so far is that more of them squat medium-wide to wide and only a few close(typical SS stance).

I'm not saying it's better before all you people get berserk. Some also have no video so it is indeed very limited.
    Have you observed this in the lighter classes too and for thinner people? In my experience, narrow squats are just as common and in strict meets where you really do need to hit parallel, its only the guys with huge thighs who need to use the wide stances for the simple practicality of their legs/guts not getting in the way. You kill a lot of your hamstring tension when you go too wide, this tension is vital for getting maximum poundages in a parallel squat. In a olympic style ATG squat you can go wider as its possible to rebound out of the bottom. But for most powerlifters it is much more sensible to stick to parallel and use muscle tension to reverse direction.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Have you observed this in the lighter classes too and for thinner people? In my experience, narrow squats are just as common and in strict meets where you really do need to hit parallel, its only the guys with huge thighs who need to use the wide stances for the simple practicality of their legs/guts not getting in the way. You kill a lot of your hamstring tension when you go too wide, this tension is vital for getting maximum poundages in a parallel squat. In a olympic style ATG squat you can go wider as its possible to rebound out of the bottom. But for most powerlifters it is much more sensible to stick to parallel and use muscle tension to reverse direction.
    I've only checked up to the 74's aka the lighter people.

And what do you mean "you kill a lot of your hamstring hamstring tension" going wide? Have you even tried air squatting wide vs narrow?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast