starting strength gym

Thread: Maintaining Strength with Ballistics Training?

Default Maintaining Strength with Ballistics Training?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey SS community, I have a question. I'm gassed out on strength training (TMer) and would like to get back into judo/jujitsu in the near future. Of course I'm looking to maintain strength (1x major lifts a week right?) but it's the sudden explosive, coordinated movements I'm looking to work on with some met/con.

I've heard of ballistics training (but not seen much about it) and have heard of some overlapping of powerlifting/ballistic exercises such as push presses, jump squats, snatches, full squat cleans, and bench throws. My question is if these exercises are not adequate exercises to promote explosive, coordinated movements, what are? And how do I help implement these or other exercises into my now open routine?

Thanks a bunch

PS. I just found out about Sweet Maria's (thanks to the forums so does anyone have good recommendations for African beans? I love me some dark, earthy beans first thing in the morning.

Perhaps you would get a more appropriate answer if you posted the question in a forum that specializes in the martial arts?

Perhaps but martial arts forums (like other sports forums) don't always focus on a complete athletic training programs. I thought with Rip helping football, tennis, baseball etc athletes, he might have some words of wisdom for me.

Train using the appropriate protocol (SS, TM, 531) for your level 1 or 2 days a week to develop or maintain strength.

Train in the sport of your choice to develop the appropriate qualities of technique, explosiveness, mobility, balance etc.

Have you tried any kettlebell routines?
    I'm not talking about doing 10min of snatches or C&P's, but heavy singles or triples. Also doing front squats with two 32kg or larger 'bells require a good amount of strength.

The Oly lifts are also good at improving power and can help to maintain strength.
    I once stopped training in deadlifts, instead only did cleans and rows. I was able to do 275 on 5RM deadlifts and 190/165 on clean/rows. When I got back to deadlifting, I only lost about 15lb on my 5RM pulls, but that could have also been because of my grip.

Thanks for the input! I'll try out those kettleball exercises RTN; I've been focusing on some of their barbell alternatives (jerks, snatches etc). I have one quick question: should I keep eating my bodyweight in protein? I've been cutting back on protein and eating more carbs but I would like to know from someone's experience what they learned.

starting strength coach development program
    I would do 5/3/1 and head over to rosstraining for additional sport-specific conditioning.