starting strength gym

Thread: Injured my back 3 weeks ago deadlifting, still suffering from pain, any ideas?

Default Injured my back 3 weeks ago deadlifting, still suffering from pain, any ideas?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey mark,
    I hurt my back deadlifting 3 weeks ago, I have never had a back injury before. I felt I slight twinge as I lifted the weight, It never really hurt me. I continued training without any problems, once I got home I was extremely stiff, and couldnt touch my toes without getting a pain in my spine/spinal erector muscles.

I was able to flex my back without any pain at all times, but I found I was unable to round my back at all, for example to touch my toes without getting pain in my lower spine. I could bend over to touch my toes and once I got half way I would get a pain in my spine/spinal errector (left side) once I touched my toes, the pain dissapears, as I returned to normal standing positon the pain reappears in the same position as it does when I bend down.

At no point would I say the pain was severe, as I have heard many other people describe it. It has just been uncomfortable and for about 10 days I was unable to enter the gym. I have also not suffered any sciatica or anything like that.

I know you are a believer that resting a injury rarely works, I am currently squatting my bodyweight for 20 reps every other day. This doesn't seem to irritate the injury, however deadlifting is proving painfull and difficult, particularly on the left side of my spine.

I am currently suffering a dull ache, on my left spinal errector and sometimes deeper radiating around the hip on my left side. I still cannot touch my toes with feeling pain when I reach a certain level.

Any ideas mark on where I should go from here? I am booked in to see a chrio next week.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cambero View Post

I performed 20 reps of 100kg today, perfect form of course. The only pain I felt was on the initial first pull, the rest of the lifts were pain free and I have been pain free since. I am however not doing any crazy stretching which is what seems to irritating the area.

Do you still think I may have a herniated disc?

thankyou btw

If you're actually worried about a herniated disc then go to a doctor and get an MRI, not a chiro. However with the lack of neurological type symptoms (shooting pains, referred pains, tingling or numbness etc) doesn't seem like it's something disastrous.

You'll also note that even w/ a herniated disk the path to recovery is pretty much the same: start working it w/ low weights for high reps and move up from there. If you're already doing 20x 100kg and it doesn't even hurt then you seem well on your way to recovery.

Next time you ding your back it would prob be better to be more conservative about continuing the workout.

(note: i'm not a doctor and this isn't advice to do or not do anything)

I used to think after a herniated disc there is no lifting !! LOL.
    Last edited by Rockfella; 07-29-2012 at 12:27 PM.