starting strength gym

Thread: Plate Identification

Default Plate Identification

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Picked up a ton of old 45s from a classifieds ad this weekend...

There's 8 of the typical York plates, 10 of the calibrated York plates, and then 6 of the ones you see in the bottom right of the pictures labeled "Standard Barbell."

I'm trying to figure out whether or not those Standard Barbell plates are also York plates? They are stamped "Made in Canada" and the mold for the plates is identical to the old York plates aside from the lettering. Anyone know for sure?

Last edited by AdamW; 07-09-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Those are cap standard plates
    http://www.capbarbell.com/Plates/2inch.html

Thanks for chiming in, I don't think they are CAPs though. The CAPs have "Cap" stamped into them in the middle and the "spokes" in the mold are a different shape and a lot shorter on my plates. Mine are also stamped "Made in Canada" underneath "Standard", and the CAP plates are made in China as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
    Thanks for chiming in, I don't think they are CAPs though. The CAPs have "Cap" stamped into them in the middle and the "spokes" in the mold are a different shape and a lot shorter on my plates. Mine are also stamped "Made in Canada" underneath "Standard", and the CAP plates are made in China as far as I know.
    I have standards like that with no cap stampings at my gym....they are not caps. I'll have to check if they say made in Canada. I will say this, they are good plates (the ones I have) and they are milled right on, exactly 45 lbs. I find cap plates are usually milled off either 1-2 lbs plus or minus.

Nice find dude.

Now all you need to do is work up to a 1100lb deadlift.

I bought the plates together with a friend, seller would only sell in bulk. We've both already got a few pairs, so we're just keeping enough to have 6 or 7 pairs each (including the ones we already have) and reselling the rest in individual pairs. By the time I get rid of the stuff we don't need, it will have cost me about $0.13/pound for the plates I keep so it was worth it I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by djl236 View Post
    I have standards like that with no cap stampings at my gym....they are not caps. I'll have to check if they say made in Canada. I will say this, they are good plates (the ones I have) and they are milled right on, exactly 45 lbs. I find cap plates are usually milled off either 1-2 lbs plus or minus.

Nice find dude.
    Thanks man let me know if yours are the same! I have no complaints about 'em, they look exactly like the York ones. Seem like great plates! Going to refinish them hopefully over the next couple of weeks and get the rust off, should be a fun project.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
    Thanks man let me know if yours are the same! I have no complaints about 'em, they look exactly like the York ones. Seem like great plates! Going to refinish them hopefully over the next couple of weeks and get the rust off, should be a fun project.
    They look the same dude except mine are grey instead of black.. Just find an accurate scale and weigh them to see how accurately milled they are. Enjoy them man. Anytime I see a deal like you just did, I jump on it. Always good to have 45s.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah I was weighing a bunch on my crappy little Tanita scale and EVERY plate was coming in around 47, including the ones that are supposed to be calibrated, so I'm not sure if I can trust that scale, haha... But if every plate shows up weighing about the same (including the other 45s we already have) then I think it's safe to say they are probably 45.