starting strength gym
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Fixing my press

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hmm. That leads me to what I was wondering. I really struggle on the first rep, then if I bounce on the down motion, the rest of the reps are easier. So, either I still can't quite get the hip thing right or else maybe it doesn't provide all that much help? I'm going to keep trying to do the 2.0 version either way, but I suppose that's a clue that I'm not doing 2.0 properly.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Hmm. That leads me to what I was wondering. I really struggle on the first rep, then if I bounce on the down motion, the rest of the reps are easier. So, either I still can't quite get the hip thing right or else maybe it doesn't provide all that much help? I'm going to keep trying to do the 2.0 version either way, but I suppose that's a clue that I'm not doing 2.0 properly.
    Did you actually try to do what is in the vid, where Rip coaches to just do the hip snap without actually pressing, to feel the bar tries to fly up from your shoulders? When you do it right and get the feeling, it will be obvious it helps to lift the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by osv2 View Post
    Did you actually try to do what is in the vid, where Rip coaches to just do the hip snap without actually pressing, to feel the bar tries to fly up from your shoulders? When you do it right and get the feeling, it will be obvious it helps to lift the weight.
    Yeah, my first comment about bouncing on the down motion was how I was doing it before. I think I'm starting to understand the 2.0 thing a lot better.

My whole journey with the press has been difficult because I had to do it with curl bars at first, then there was a gap in the available bars -- nothing at between 30 and 45lbs. So then I had to use the ez-curl bar, which, because it's not straight, had me place my hands too far apart. I couldn't do anything right with that. But I worked my way up to being able to lift the regular 45lbs bar, so I've been using that, but it's been my warm-up as well as my work weight for several weeks. I've finally succeeded in lifting 50lbs using the 2.0 version and I was very happy. I still think I need work, but I could tell it was helping because I could feel the hip motion was helping me get the weight up there.

starting strength coach development program
    Good job! Keep going in the right direction!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345