starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Check Please

Default Squat Check Please

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm going belt-less here as I injured my ribs with the belt about 5 weeks ago. It's still not 100% and I'm afraid of doing it again. I may test out using a belt next week.

Thanks!

335x2, 360x2, 380x1
    https://plus.google.com/photos/11196...42315617008705

Did you disolcate a rib, or just bruise yourself? I'd prefer to see a heavy set of five shot from a rear oblique. Right now the plates obscure an awful lot of what you are doing. From what I can see, I would recommend that you do the following:

• Look downward
    • Let your knees come further forward. This will make you a little more upright. I would be able to confirm this with the video angle request above.
    • Don't let your elbows drop as you descend. Keep them up and keep your upper back tight.
    • Most importantly, don't let your back round. You are going into flexion. At least I think you are. The steps above will help with this last one. Think "Chin down, chest up," even as you lean over.

I really appreciate the tips. I'll work on getting a better video, and integrating those cues. As to the rib, not entirely sure what happened, other than after a set, with a belt something was off. Breathing heavy hurt, pull ups hurt, getting out of the car hurt. Ironically bench was pain free, until something slipped and I think popped into place. After that, it hurt more for the day, and less the next day. I then took a week or so off and started back.

Trying the belt today we'll see how it goes.

Added another angle to the album. Here's the link

Dropped down to 225 cause I had planned on using a belt today and wanted to make sure I could see the lower back in the video without occluding it .

Thanks again

The set at 225 was pretty damn good, although you may be just a touch high on a few reps. What does a heavy set of five look like? Also, could you put your next one on YouTube? I cannot scroll around in the video in the Google Plus album.