starting strength gym

Thread: Delaying power cleans for more deadlifting?

Default Delaying power cleans for more deadlifting?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    I'm currently trying to do SS. I'm a severely obese 37yo male.

I'm currently trying to lose fat while building strength.
    I have noticed a pattern.
    I start SS, Using the initial 2 DL/week pattern.

I add weight, get my squat to about 150, my DL to about 200, then I try to add in power cleans or power snatches. Well, they are more like stiff leg DL->reverse curl complexes. (Power snatches add a push press.) My problem with these lifts is partly technique, partly to shitty jumping do to the extra mass from my fat. Imagine learning PCs with a 180 lb weight vest on.

I then get frustrated and stop.

Now, I know a local SS coach, and I understand that having him evaluate my power lifts is highly recommended, but there are time and logistic issues.

I'm not noticing any significant recovery issues, as long as I sleep.
    Would keeping my DLs every workout just to see how high I can get them be a sane plan? I figure if I can get another few weeks in, my legs will be stronger and I will have a better chance at doing the PC. I'm also jumping rope as a warmup to get used to any jumping whatsoever.

I don't see any issue until it starts interfering with your recovery, which, when the weight gets heavy enough, it will, esp. with someone who is dieting. How to handle your diet will be an important question, and one you should research / ask about over in Jordan's forum. I would not continue doing a lift that's not in the program, however. Just do the extra DL'ing, and work on diet. You'll be surprised at how much of your mass is muscle - it's probably more than you think.